Needing a virtual hug of reassurance

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes it is sad. The constant repetitions are because he cant lay down new memories, so each time he asks is like the very first time he has asked it. We feel that if only we could explain it better then it would stick, but it doesnt because he cant.

Im lucky in that OH is not clock watching for his carers. He just sits on the sofa and reads, or scrolls though his ipad now.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Can I just ask a question..... Is there anyone here who has someone with dementia that they care for.... But the person who has it doesn't know they've got it?
Oh yes, lots of people. I had a bit of a soon- forgotten argument the other day with my dad because he has two computer printers and is increasingly struggling with them. He wants to do things like changing the paper over to small size photo paper and printing glossy photos but this is now too complicated for him. I have tried to advise him to stick to the simplest things but he won't accept that his abilities are in decline. I know he tells carers that he doesn't have dementia. I use distraction strategies learned from this forum to avoid the d word.

LeahDarm

Mar 2, 2021
Sorry to hear! Like a comment said it sounds like anticipatory grief. You also remember them how they were and in some respect, you feel like you've lost them already. It's tough to get through all that in current times, look for brighter days and be appreciative of them and the good times :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77