Name Tags Recommendation?

CathT

Jun 18, 2010
Wakefield
Can anyone recommend a good supplier of name tags? My mum moved into care home this week and I wondered if anyone could recommend a good supplier. Should I go for iron on or stiched ones?

Todate I have used permanent marker pen, but these become so blurry over time.

Any tips on marking clothing and items greatly appreciated.

Best wishes

Cath T

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
I found a web site similar to this. The sew on were much more successful than permanent ink or iron on types. Sewing them is a bit tiresome but worth it in the end as they withstand hot washes.

http://www.easy2name.com/

I hope this helps.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Definitely don't use the iron on ones, they had nasty rough prickly edges that I would not have liked to have near my skin.

We marked knickers on the label part with a sharpie, these were what I wondered about most for some reason. it has stayed on quite well. Most of the other clothes are also marked on the reverse of the label with a sharpie but I would prefer to have properly stitched labels. My mum was at boarding school so the whole idea of having all named clothes is familiar to her, she hasn't found it at all odd.

Pippa x

Nannybus

Dec 21, 2010
Sorry to be a party pooper, but I have travelled the same route that you are now on.

I diligently sewed in loads of name tapes. I Sharpied all knickers. Yet within two weeks mother was in other people's clothes, minus glasses, minus teeth. I kept replacing clothes that seemed to have disappeared, yet never once saw her dressed in any of her new things. I 'debated' with the Home over this and was accused of causing trouble, as the Manager had 'managed' the Home for 20 years and had never had a complaint. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

All this became moot when mother became bedridden after a few months. Recently a carer packed a suitcase of her clothes, for me to take home. Most of the items I did not recognise and certainly none of her brand new clothes were included in the packing. I am too exhausted through 11 years of looking after mum, and fighting other battles, to bother with this aggravating event, as Homes do not seem to take the complaint seriously.

The trouble with a Home that has a large number of wandering dementia residents, is that they stroll into each other's rooms and help themselves, thinking that the items are their own. I really do not know what the answer is, it is just another em******ance to cope with in this long arduous battle.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Hallo, Cath - I went for Able-Labels (sales@able-labels.co.uk) for very clear black-on-white embroidered name-tapes. Yes, they are a bit fiddly to sew on to every garment, but Brian's clothes were washed daily and he didn't lose a single item. (So sorry to read of your ghastly experiences, Nannybus.) Also, they arrived within five days of my ordering them, which I thought was pretty good. I used them twice.

Love, Nan XXX

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I marked my knickers with a sharpie too only I forgot to put it on the label and when I went into hospital and the doc examined me he asked me why I had V2 on my draws
its my Initials sort of in reverse SV
It was a conversation starter:rolleyes:

KerryL

Mar 8, 2013
My Grandmother has Alzheimer's and I had to put names in her clothes as she has moved into a care home too and sewing was taking ages. I came across a product that may help you called "Stikins". I got them from amazon.co.uk - had them a couple of months now and they have stayed stuck in!! They are brill.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
There was no way I was sewing labels on. I found these ... http://www.attachatag.com/prodtype.asp?strParents=113&CAT_ID=101&numRecordPosition=1. Fantastic gadget and easy to apply. The care home loved them too and soon others had bought the tags and were using our gadget! LOL Dont forget to label items such as bedding if you take in your own covers or throws or cushions.

I ordered the starter pack of 50 tags at first. Then on the second order I put her name and her room nr on them on the basis that the more info I could put on there the greater the chance of it being returned.

Taking into consideration the experiences of things going missing, based on my experience please refrain from the urge to buy lots of new clothing. My mother had the same old cardigan on every time I visited and I mentioned this to the carer one day and she said my mother said the other items didn't belong to her!!! In her case she had lost so much weight in hospital so we had to get her new clothes, so back to the shops I went and I bought basic batches of clothes eg all black trousers, all white blouses maybe in different styles, all black socks, all white knickers and a couple of cardigans in colours I remembered her previously owning. Problem was then solved, thankfully. As to the new stff she wouldn't wear..I removed the tags and let them disappear into that black hole that was the laundry. LOL

Best of luck with the labels ...it is an long arduous task! LOL

Fiona

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I put iron on name tags into all of mums clothes, the only problem is after a while they start to come off, they do stick down again with the iron but its a bloody nuisance having to do it so i ended up stitching them down.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
My husband's Easyto name iron on labels have shown no deterioration at all in over 2 years. i have just ordered more.They are guaranteed too. I was concerned about the comfort angle of the button type from the same place which are good, as my husband spends most of his time in bed or prone in a special ,chair and I hate the way spare buttons stick into you and these would be worse.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It's a felt pen Peggy. David Beckham used to advertise them. Write permanently on anything, so they say. A**a do their own version much cheaper and seems to work well.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I use our local school uniform shop. I have the embroidered sew on ones on all my husband's clothes and the iron on type on his socks. He wears long socks so just iron them on at the top of the sock on the outside. Even crossed legged the labels don't show below his trouser legs. It is a bind sewing them on securely and the thought of sewing them on twice for each pair of socks was a step to far for me. The iron on have stayed on the socks fine.

Jay

dizzy the cat

May 29, 2012
South Hampshire, UK
I have used Woven Labels UK.

Very pleased with them and fast delivery. Cheaper than Cash's.
I couldn't stomach sewing loads of labels and iron-on wasn't really appropriate on some of Mum's clothes so I got a box of the self-rivits. Very easy to attach to the neck label or washing instruction label.

I said to Mum that she had the patience of a saint sewing on all the Cash's name tapes on all my school wear throughout my childhood. We both had a good laugh about it and she said that she certainly wished "those rivit things" were around in those good old days!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980