My wife recently diagnosed: all so puzzling

Puzzleman

Nov 17, 2018
Thank you for your welcome I'm new to this as you will know my wife has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers after having all sorts test latest being a pet scan which showed why her memory has got worse a long with other symptonsshe as stage 4 so yea its not sunk in yet so not sure how we should acting

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to TP, @Puzzleman.
I'm sorry your wife's diagnosis has brought you to us, and know it does take a wee while to sink in. You probably have information leaflets coming out of your ears, but I'll post a link to the Society factsheets in case it helps https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/alzheimers-disease.
Take your time t browse a few threads and settle in, but you may want to find memory cafes in your area and you may want to see if your wife will give you power of attorney for which Age UK were helpful in our case. Best wishes and I'll hopefully see you on the forum.

Puzzleman

Nov 17, 2018
Puzzleman: hi everyone this only my second reply my wife has early stages of Alzheimers she is at stage 3/4 so early days yet difficult for me to get my head around it. But at least we are talking about things together we have a strong family network which is key i'm told.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Puzzleman and welcome to Talking Point.
Im sorry to hear about your wife - it is indeed hard to get your head round everything and can be a steep learning curve, but Im glad that you are getting support from your family

Puzzleman

Nov 17, 2018
hello everyone not been on for awhile i'm getting things sorted slowly like power of attorney like the dr at the memory clinic advised me to do not something I ever thought I would need to do but when I sat down and talked things over with my wife it seemed the right thing to do. My wife's short term memory is getting very bad so she will need all the help she can get. Just getting our lives in order is must I suppose but it is hard for me we've married for 52 years she means such a lot to me I know it is very early stages but im just trying to do things right we are all family that is getting memorys to hang on too. that is all I wanted to say at this point not very good at this sort of thing i'm afraid

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
hello everyone not been on for awhile i'm getting things sorted slowly like power of attorney like the dr at the memory clinic advised me to do not something I ever thought I would need to do but when I sat down and talked things over with my wife it seemed the right thing to do. My wife's short term memory is getting very bad so she will need all the help she can get. Just getting our lives in order is must I suppose but it is hard for me we've married for 52 years she means such a lot to me I know it is very early stages but im just trying to do things right we are all family that is getting memorys to hang on too. that is all I wanted to say at this point not very good at this sort of thing i'm afraid

Hullo again and welcome back, Puzzleman. Don't worry about posting, it took me about a year to settle in. POA is one of those hard things, but you are right to just get it all in order.
All the best to you, your wife and your family.

Puzzleman

Nov 17, 2018
Hello all thought I would come on again with up date my wife short term memory has got a lot worse lately very frustrating for her she is seeing things that's not there hearing things that don't that are not there either also she can't stand a lot of noise or bright lights is this normal with some one with Alzheimer's i'm still handling this very well. We've a appointment at memory clinic tomorrow to discuss my wife's diagnosis and see what support we can get

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Puzzleman, yes this can be normal.

However, other things like time of day or infections can cause these issues and that can be dealt with to some extent. You don't give enough detail to answer fully.

It's good that you have a clinic appointment.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Puzzleman
just to say I hope the appointment is useful to you, do let us know
and, of course, you can always mention here anything that's on your mind, someone generally comes along with sympathy and a useful suggestion

Puzzleman

Nov 17, 2018
Hello @Puzzleman, yes this can be normal.

However, other things like time of day or infections can cause these issues and that can be dealt with to some extent. You don't give enough detail to answer fully.

It's good that you have a clinic appointment.
Hello karaokePete sorry not enough detail but not sure what detail to give other than my wife has been told she has got early stage Alzheimer's mild to moderate they say I have got a lasting power of attorney on the go just waiting for it to be registered. we went to the memory clinic last week spoke the assessment nurse about my wife's diagnoses very useful lots of things to do like joining alzheimer's café and other places to go but my wife's doesn't want to at the memory clinic they said exercise is good think that will help to keep active another thing is a healthy diet. they said to make sure she keeps well as chest infections make things progress more problem is my wife is prone to chest infections also being socialable is good but my wife at the moment doesn't feel like doing that finds it difficult among a lot of people. Her short term memory has got a lot worse over the last month or so I can tell her some thing now and within a minute or so she has forgotten It which can cause problems between us as she say's I did not tell her what ever it was. I hope this gives a better insight into what's going on with us Sorry about spelling. PUZZLEMAN

Puzzleman

Nov 17, 2018
hello @Puzzleman
just to say I hope the appointment is useful to you, do let us know
and, of course, you can always mention here anything that's on your mind, someone generally comes along with sympathy and a useful suggestion
Hi Shedrech you said you have given me my own thread title I have got a partner which is very good of you for doing this for me but i'm not sure where to look for it

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Puzzleman
this is it, you found it

if you scroll to the top you'll see the new title - and all your posts and replies are collected together here in chronological order

you can also find your posts by hitting the round icon at the extreme top right of any page, alongside the envelope and flag - then hit 'Your profile page' and you go to a listing of your posts

you can also hit the 'Watch thread' just under the thread title at the right, and you wil receive notifications when a member posts a response on this thread

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello again @Puzzleman, when I said there wasn't enough detail I was wandering if what you were describing was a sudden onset of symptoms beyond the norm for dementia. If that happens an infection can often be the cause.

Much of what you describe is standard for my experience of dementia. People with dementia may often seem unwilling to do things like taking exercise and keeping to a good diet because they just can't think to do these things and cannot see the benefits. I have a constant struggle with my wife on all fronts. I'm determined to keep her as well as can be but her tendency is to just sleep all day and not care about anything as I do it all while she thinks she's the busy one.

Don't fret about the memory - just keep repeating. If I speak to my wife she will have forgotten the start of a sentence while I'm still in the act of finishing it. The truth of this is that damage to the hippocampus results in the person not being able to process information so they don't make memories - it's not that they forget. This is one of the reasons a person with dementia will often seem to live in the past - long term memory is stored in another brain area that tends to remain intact until later stages of the disease. Another reason for this living in the past is that they are seeking comfort in reliving a time of their life where they felt more secure and in control.

On the communication front you can get a lot of tips from the thread that can be reached by clicking this link https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/compassionate-communication-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/

If you want to find posts on the forum just click the 'bookmark' box in the bottom LH corner of a post then you can find them by hovering over your avatar in the top RH corner of the forum screen and selecting 'bookmarks' from the menu that will drop down. You can also just hover over the avatar and select 'your content' from that menu to see all you posts. This avatar is beside the little envelope and flag in the top RH corner.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
BTW, there is also a 'watch thread' facility at the top of a thread beside the blue 'Reply to thread' box. If you click that you will get an alert when a post is made on the thread.

If you click this link it should take you to the 'help' section of the forum where, amongst other things, you can watch some videos that may help with navigation.

I hope you find these things useful.