My poor Al

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Oh dear my poor Alan is the most confused he's ever been and it came on this afternoon. I don't even know whether 'confused' is the right word. He seems to think the people on the t.v. are in the room (at times) and at one point he said "did they say something about me?":eek: Sometime during the evening Alan was going upstairs for something and I asked him to bring me the box of tissues next to the bed and he came down with a heavy box of assorted cards from another room. I said "no tissues to blow my nose" and he went back and came down with something else completely.:eek:

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh dear, Helen, just as you are both beginning to feel better!

It does sound as if Alan is deteriorating quickly. Could he have had a mini-stroke?, Or could he still have some residual infection?

I'd take him to your GP in the morning and ask for tests. If you're still worried, I'd ring the consultant and ask for a review.

I'm so sorry, it's hard enough watching a slow decline, but a sudden dive is so traumatic.

With love and much sympathy,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Dear Helen:

I am sorry to read your post. Maybe a strange form of comfort but my hubby has also been horrendously disorientated and confused today. I will not hog your thread but just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Love Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen.

Confusing reality and the television comes as a shock and I`m a few months ahead of you in this. Dhiren once actually thought I was at a meeting inside the television.

And as for fetching something from another room, probably by the time Alan has arrived in the room has forgotten what he went for, assuming he`s gone to the right room in the first place.

If he is still suffering the effects of the viral infection, things might improve. I notice Dhiren is always more confused when he is tired. Perhaps Alan is weaker and therefore more tired with the infection.

And as you are still under par, it`s so much more difficult for you to handle.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Hazel

Thanks for your quick reply. Alan has no sign of stroke disease we were told after his scans so I doubt it's that.

This morning he was fine and mowed the lawns. I have been noticing little bits of what's currently happening but this afternoon and tonight is like the whole lot together - I am so afraid it means he wont recover. I know it is going to happen sometime but I want more time.

Love

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Jan and Sylvia

You must have posted as I was replying to Hazel. Thank you for being there. I have been very tired today so I suppose Alan must be too but I really have a feeling that something is permanently changing. Right at this moment I feel terrified about it but I'll be o.k. It feels like my heart is in my stomach.

Love

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dear Helen

There are good day's, and not so good.
Take all the good day's you can:)
The confused day's, well, do the best you can.
Like me you do not want to say goodbye to the person, not yet:(
You know I alway's say, tomorrow is another day.
I am where you are now.
Here if needed.
Love Barb & Ron XX

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
If he mowed the lawns today, he's probably just tired. I know it's taking me some time to get back to full strength after my infections, and I'm sure you're the same (though you're younger and fitter than me!):eek:

But these ups and downs are part and parcel of the disease, and something we all have to cope with. Dementia often affects physical stamina as well as mental. It's not easy, though.

If it is just tiredness, Alan will get back to where he was before, and you'll probably have some more good days before the next downturn.

See how he is in the morning, but if you've any doubts, ring the doc.

Love,

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Here is my neck, chop it off now, cause you all surely will

See the Doctor.
What can he do ?
If he could do anything, why has he not been doing it.
Bladder infection, why do the doctor's not check weekly?
Consultant's, memory test's, all these hospital appointment's. FOR WHAT.

There is no cure at the moment for AZ. And I have the feeling that the money that should be spent to find a cure will go elsewhere. Ageing population, we have had it, over 60:eek:

There are good day's, and there are bad.
There must be thousand's sat at home now, head in hand's wondering what they can do. Screaming for help.
Love, help and care, there is not enough of it.

OK, my neck is ready ----

With the GREATEST RESPECT
Barb XX

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Helen,

Eric has "fleeting" episodes like this..most recently when Sylvia and Dhiren were here..

I fetched them from their hotel..left Eric asleep..I was only gone for 10 minutes...he was still asleep when we got back..so we sat outside drinking coffee.

Soon afterwards Eric came out to us wondering why he wasn't at work...this was a "first" for me...he's never been that confused before..and it took a while for Sylvia and I to convince him he was retired...

I think we have to accept that there will occasionally be episodes of confusion...with no apparent reason..and things return to "normal".:eek:

As long as physically things are ok..not a lot else you can do..except reassure.

Love gigi xx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Just like to add am sorry to read that your seeing this change in Al.

I know from seeing changes in my mother symptom of dementia its a horrible felling to experience . I hope its a symptom thats not distressing Al ?

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
I shall save you all the trouble of a reply, not worth it.

I am on a mission.
It seem's the mission is to make a bloody fool of myself.
Your's sincerely

Mrs Angry
also known as Barb.

PS
Sorry folk's, I am well and truely bogged off. Like all of you I suspect.
I cannot help myself, when I have to let rip, out it comes;)
Well, I cannot get in touch with the Teapot, or the consultant:(
So, well, err, whatever:eek:

It had to be you, la la
It had to be you, la la
Someone should give me a pill (Id prefer a thrill)
But it had to be you. La la.
SorryX

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Mrs Angry
also known as Barb.

We where all at that stage of anger I presume . well I was till I read this .

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
Buddha

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
He can test for UTI.

He can check blood/sugar levels.

He can refer for a scan if vascular damage is suspected.

He can ask for an urgent appointment with the consultant to review medication.

No, he can't stop the dementia, but Helen has said she needs more time. The doctor may be able to gve her that.

Herlen, I do hope you've had a good night, and that Alan is a bit better this morning.

Love,

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Hazel

Thanks for your message and yes, we both had a good sleep. Alan got up this morning as if nothing had happened and he is actually self-motivated:confused: He's feeding the birds and cleaning out their bird baths in the garden. He seems quite different although he asked me how to work the taps for the water:eek: He did say he could have done it if I wasn't there and I actually understood what he was saying.

I am wondering whether it's sundowning or something similar that people with FTD might get?

Love

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'm glad Alan's better this morning, Helen. I'd guess overtiredness.

I expect people with FTD can also suffer from sundowning, though I really don't know. Certainly John never had it, though he did get more confused when he was tired (so do I!):eek:

Anyway, panic over for the moment, let's hope he's OK tonight.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Helen

I`m pleased to hear Alan seems better today.

I thought of sundowning yesterday in relation to Alan`s confusion. If you haven`t already thought about it, can I suggest you start a log/diary of his behaviours. It will give you something to check on.

Love xx