My nan

epsilon

Jan 26, 2024
My nan is amazing. But she has been suffering. She was diagnosed with breast cancer and we think she has dementia.

She hallucinate a yellow cat or thinks there's children that need caring for. My biggest worry is how she's treating My grandad. He is her full time carer and she keeps lashing out at him or thinking she's in a hospital.

We've been able to accommodate her to live at home with carers. I'm new to all this and any advice is welcome.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello, this must be so tough for you to see your grandparents going through this dreadful situation. If your nan has dementia then maybe this needs to be verified so that , as a family you can plan for the future. Is she getting treatment for the cancer? Could this be causing her recent behaviour. It is true to say that people with dementia really struggle with other illnesses and this can affect their behaviour. I know there are other threads on here about caring for someone with cancer and dementia, maybe there is something useful there for you or you can all the help line to talk all of this through.

shell16

Feb 18, 2024
My nan is amazing. But she has been suffering. She was diagnosed with breast cancer and we think she has dementia.

She hallucinate a yellow cat or thinks there's children that need caring for. My biggest worry is how she's treating My grandad. He is her full time carer and she keeps lashing out at him or thinking she's in a hospital.

We've been able to accommodate her to live at home with carers. I'm new to all this and any advice is welcome.
Hi, My mom tends to hallucinate more when she has a water infection. Sometimes she will hallucinate an object such as a coat folded up as she will think it's a dog, once we move it towards her it calms her. Is there any particular thing what your nan is seeing it as something else? We tend to stand where she's saying there is something to show her it's ok and nothing is going to hurt her.