My mum

Hollyblue

Nov 3, 2023
Hi my mum was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia last year. Since then she has rapidly declined and I find it very hard to cope with this. She has carers coming in twice a day and I go up nearly every day to see her. But it is getting to the point where I dread seeing her as it is not my cheery mum anymore. Don’t know what to do 🥲

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Hollyblue and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. It is heartbreaking for sure to see a loved one slowly decline in front of your eyes. I do feel for you. I had the same with my dear Mum. It is good that you have arranged twice daily carer visits, along with your own regular visits.
All I would say is that you can only do your best - as I'm sure you are, in caring for her in her best interests. Please though do remember, with this disease, now is the best your Mum will be, and there might be a time to consider residential care at some point. A link may help for information:
You will always find support and understanding here from people that really do want to help. Do please also use this space to let off some steam or have a rant when you need to. Wishing you strength.