1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Demonica66

Demonica66 Registered User

Oct 23, 2014
    Dear all, I have not been a regular poster on here mainly due to time constraints and the worry that I was a whinging bore! Just to let you all know that my Mum passed away on Wednesday. Although she had vascular dementia, she had an exploratory laparotomy for stomach problems and they discovered a huge tumour; (surgeon said he did not know how she had survived). She got through surgery but then had to return to theatre as an artery blew. She survived that but then arrested in ICU afterwards and passed away. She did not go with vascular dementia, but with arrest post operatively. In the last few months, Mum and I had restored our relationship: we spent time telling each other we loved each other, holding hands and were close again. I told her I loved her every time I saw her, as she did me. At the moment, I feel like my heart is ripped out and I hurt so much. I am dreading Mother's Day this Sunday but she is in the best place now. I never thought I would feel this bereft. I just have one message for you all, as a last post; you are all wonderful people, who helped me through my darkest hours. Thank you so, so much. gather strength from each other: love, laugh and live. When the end comes, it is so very painful but know that there are thousands of us who have been through, and share your pain. Love to you all. D X

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I'm so sorry Demonica. It's so lovely you repaired your relationship.
    Sending you love & hugs xx

3. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Afternoon Demonica66
    Such sad news - thank you for letting us know
    Your mum is at peace
    and I'm so glad you retrieved your relationship and spent such a special time with her to create loving memories which I hope will be of comfort to you
    find a photo of her where she is smiling out at you, and blow her a kiss on Sunday - I will be doing that too

4. stanleypj

stanleypj Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    North West
    Very sad news Demonica66. Thank you so much for your thoughtful post and it's heartfelt message to those of us who still have to face the inevitable end of the journey. Perhaps you will revisit TP from time to time as many others do. I hope so as former carers have a lot to offer others.

5. angecmc

angecmc Registered User

Dec 25, 2012
    hertfordshire
    So sorry for your loss xx

Ange

6. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    I'm so sorry, Demonica xx

How glad you must be that you both managed to repair your relationship. You can have an easy conscience, and you were able to express your love for one another, which is priceless.

Take care xx

7. LadyA

LadyA Registered User

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Sorry for your loss, Demonica.

8. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Condolences demonically, pleased to hear you healed your relationship X

9. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I'm sorry for you loss and send my condolences. I'm glad your mum is at peace and that you healed your relationship.

10. disi

disi Registered User

Sorry for your loss Demonica, your mother is at peace now.

11. Gwendy1

Gwendy1 Registered User

Feb 9, 2016
    Glasgow
    So very sorry for your loss. X

12. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    Sending you my sympathy and wishing you comfort and peace.

13. Maymab

Maymab Registered User

Oct 8, 2013
    Staffs
    So sorry. It is very early days for you and your emotions will be very raw, but take comfort from knowing that you both shared your love.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app