My mum-in-law has Alzheimers

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
My future mum-in-law has been diagnosed with this absolutely awful disease and as my partner works away Monday to friday and his sister lives away and does not visit as much as we would like, the lion's share of the care falls on us- we have care going in am and pm and have arranged extra care and activities in the day but would like to talk to people for support. at the age of 43 with a 7 month old baby and 2 children aged 10 and 16 my time is somewhat stretched!

Julie
Mum lives in Hinckley and I live in Loughborough area

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Julie, welcome to TP.

You certainly have got a lot on your plate, but I'm glad you've managed to arrange carers.

It's a huge responsibility for you though, so make sure you keep in touch with social services so that you can increase the care package when it becomes necessary.

You've come to the right place, this is a very friendly forum, so just join in any thread, or post any questions you have. There's almost always someone around.

All the best,

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
Thank you for being the first person to contact me- been a bit fraught today as we think she has been giving away possessions and possibly letting strangers into her flat/flat complex for pensioners- ian and I are going to tackle this issue tomorrow
Julie

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hello Julie, warm welcome to TP.

I don't have any answers for you, but genuine warmth and concern comes through in your post. You start off "my mum in law",....and end with "Mum lives in..". Just shows how much you care.

I do home you and Ian get something sorted tomorrow. Trying times, but for now, at least, mum has her independance. (Not always easy to maintain I know).

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear Julie,
Welcome to Talking Point.
You will find so much support here.
We are all travelling this path together and we are here for each other.
Best wishes
Christine

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Hello and welcome,

I hope you are able to access sufficient support, all I can suggest is to speak to your future Mother-in-laws social worker and your local Alzheimers Society. Hopefully they can get the wheels in motion.

Is the complex she's in supported? If so could thye keep an eye on the giving away of possessions and letting strangers in?

Jackie

julieann15

Jun 13, 2008
Leicestershire
There is no warden there but they have pull cords in case of emergency- turns out she let in 2 women while we were on holiday- god only knows who as I have checked all carer/ social workers etc and no one in official capacity came with another person? We are trying to make her lock her door especially when she is in the lounge but she won't and as her flat door is just by the main entrance I feel she is very vulnerable to opportunists. She is also under suspect at having let a door-to-door salesman into the flat complex. We have told her not to let anyone in unless they have an appointment and all official appointments by Social care etc are made through me or Ian so I guess this was sales or something like that but we will never know! She just won't accept that there is "pond life" out there who prey on vulnerable women like her!!

Julie and Ian

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27