My mum has late stage dementia and is suddenly declining really quickly

IslingtonNorth

Mar 1, 2020
Hi all, first time on here. My mum is late stage dementia and 88. She's lived in a care home, a really good one, in Liverpool for 11 years now. Two years ago she had a very bad fall which caused a small bleed to the brain and was hospitalised for 10 days. Last September she lost the ability to walk anymore. Walking and chatting up to this stage have kept her going. She is now looking more and more disengaged, her eyes have a glazed look about them and she spends a lot of her days sleeping. I know the lack of mobility is a big part of this, but I'm worried sick that she might be at last stages now of her illness & we might be losing her. Or if this is a further stage of decline, but mum might plateau again and may continue like this for a while further. Anyone else experiencing or experiencing this with loved ones with dementia?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @IslingtonNorth and welcome to the forum

Yes, I have seen this. It is indeed advanced dementia, but the last stages can go on for a long time. But there is just no knowing. She go on for a couple of years (or perhaps even more), a couple of months, or maybe continue to decline and reach end of life in a couple of weeks. Nobody can tell, Im afraid. This not knowing can cause a terrible emotional roller coaster, but you can only go with it.
xx

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @IslingtonNorth and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum,

As @canary has said, it very much sounds like advanced dementia which absolutely can go on for some time. It varies for everyone and I agree, there is just no knowing whether this stage could go on for months , or just weeks... Everyone is different , but that means a huge rollercoaster of emotions for you.
All I would say, is cherish the the good moments, the smiles, when they might happen, and be with her, tell her you love her. That's what I did with my dear Mum. I wish you strength to get through this difficult time.