My mum has become very emotional & confused

DB

Feb 24, 2024
Ashford, kent
Hi All,
My mum has had dementia diagnosed since Nov last year. She recently had a chest infection/cough and since then is now regularly emotional/upset & confused. This leads to anxiety, being scared - wanting her family who have passed away & delusions.
We reassure & try to emgage her in things, but this lasts a short time & reverts back to type. Or follows me everywhere. An admiral nurse spoke on phone at an extreme time and similar result after couple of hours.
This week i updated gp with blood pressure results she has regularly taken along with current status on dementia by letter to her gp. Only response was to send txt to say blood pressure is ok.
I think she is seriously depressed and going into later stages. All gp practice seem interested in was to decide end of life care arrangements & nurse come round for check up.
Got care support coming next week to assess help they can give me but a lot has changed since the referral weeks ago
Any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I am sorry that you are going through this @DB . You state that your mum had a chest infection, these can play havoc with someone who has dementia and it can take weeks to settle but the issue could also be the progression of the disease.
I would suggest that you go back to the GP again and really emphasise the issues that your mum is having, including that you think she’s depressed.
Prior to next week’s visit, make a list of ALL of the issues you are facing at present, and include everything that you have to do including shopping, arranging meds etc. It’s best to write these things down so you don’t forget anything.
Take care and I hope the visit goes well.

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
@SeaSwallow has given great advice. I feel for you as I am struggling with this same issue with my dad at the moment and really upset that his GP is interested in the end of life box ticking rather than present life care. Don't hold back on the assessment and emphasise how your mum is at her worst (rather than best). Go back to the GP and emphasise about the anxiety so she can get assessed by a mental health professional. Best wishes xxx

DB

Feb 24, 2024
Ashford, kent
@SeaSwallow has given great advice. I feel for you as I am struggling with this same issue with my dad at the moment and really upset that his GP is interested in the end of life box ticking rather than present life care. Don't hold back on the assessment and emphasise how your mum is at her worst (rather than best). Go back to the GP and emphasise about the anxiety so she can get assessed by a mental health professional. Best wishes xxx
@Spottydog, thanks for your reply
It is difficult as i complained when they wanted to discuss home care plan that turned into end of life. It definitely upset her
I am calling them, but like you get past reception and then dont get her gp call back. One reason i put details in a letter

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
@Spottydog, thanks for your reply
It is difficult as i complained when they wanted to discuss home care plan that turned into end of life. It definitely upset her
I am calling them, but like you get past reception and then dont get her gp call back. One reason i put details in a letter
Yes it's horrible isn't it. I tend to now use their online form and use terminology like 'concern for welfare' etc and I usually get a prompt response as it's all in writing.

DB

Feb 24, 2024
Ashford, kent
Yes it's horrible isn't it. I tend to now use their online form and use terminology like 'concern for welfare' etc and I usually get a prompt response as it's all in writing.
If i put that in their on line form it doesnt post it, but says ring surgery or 999🙄

DB

Feb 24, 2024
Ashford, kent
If i put that in their on line form it doesnt post it, but says ring surgery or 999🙄
Got an appt with GP thursday at last. Wanted to send nurse out, but insisted on dr
See what he says as she is anxious/agitated by her condition and worsening

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Got an appt with GP thursday at last. Wanted to send nurse out, but insisted on dr
See what he says as she is anxious/agitated by her condition and worsening
That is good news @DB let us know what the doctor says. If you can, make a list of all your concerns before the appointment so that you do not forget anything.

DB

Feb 24, 2024
Ashford, kent
That is good news @DB let us know what the doctor says. If you can, make a list of all your concerns before the appointment so that you do not forget anything.
@SeaSwallow GP gave her a check over as had constipation & discomfort as well in last week.
I described about emotional state/behaivours before that.
She was totally normal while there
She has a prolapsed bowel. GP Prescribed a cream as surgery not a viable option for her
He thinks this maybe a cause of the current state, but also wants blood tests to assess for anything else.
I pushed further but wont discuss anything further with me until had results of bloods & see if cream helps.
Now priority of care support after original support refferal 2 months ago, post 3 hr long phone calls and visit Tuesday has been re-refferred.
Too many chiefs, divided functions caused by too much bureaucracy & not enough indians

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Oh dear @DB it can be frustrating if we don’t get the results that we expect from these appointments.
However constipation can cause havoc when someone has dementia so perhaps it is not a bad thing to wait and see what happens over the next few days.
Hopefully the care referral will take place sooner rather than later, I know that it is hard and takes up energy we don’t have, but keep shouting at them.

DB

Feb 24, 2024
Ashford, kent
Oh dear @DB it can be frustrating if we don’t get the results that we expect from these appointments.
However constipation can cause havoc when someone has dementia so perhaps it is not a bad thing to wait and see what happens over the next few days.
Hopefully the care referral will take place sooner rather than later, I know that it is hard and takes up energy we don’t have, but keep shouting at them.
@SeaSwallow thanks. Yes was on phone straight after to push it.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
And will be onto them & GP again tomorrow. Had diarrhea twice since gp visit and is getting in a mess emotionally over it & me dealing with it
Oh @DB I am so sorry about that, definitely call them again. It must be so hard for you at present.