My Mum didn’t recognise me

Pearlybobs

Apr 26, 2023
I took Mum to the dentist yesterday and I waited for her in the waiting room. When she came out she just looked straight through me, it was only when I stood up next to her and said hello that she ”saw” me. It was such a fleeting moment but there was no recognition there at all.
I guess this will get worse but I dont really know what to do about it, she had a PET scan a couple of months away and we are waiting for the consultant. They called yesterday and told me that the consultant wanted to speak to me first and would call next week. Is that normal?
I wish I could see what the future held os I could prepare.
Thanks

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I took Mum to the dentist yesterday and I waited for her in the waiting room. When she came out she just looked straight through me, it was only when I stood up next to her and said hello that she ”saw” me. It was such a fleeting moment but there was no recognition there at all.
I guess this will get worse but I dont really know what to do about it, she had a PET scan a couple of months away and we are waiting for the consultant. They called yesterday and told me that the consultant wanted to speak to me first and would call next week. Is that normal?
I wish I could see what the future held os I could prepare.
Thanks
Oh @Pearlybobs I am so sorry to read that your mum did not recognise you even if it was only for a moment.
Some consultants will speak to family members first which I think is a good idea.
It is hard to see into the future so take each day as it comes. Keep posting on the forum for help and advice or even just to express how you feel.

Pearlybobs

Apr 26, 2023
Oh @Pearlybobs I am so sorry to read that your mum did not recognise you even if it was only for a moment.
Some consultants will speak to family members first which I think is a good idea.
It is hard to see into the future so take each day as it comes. Keep posting on the forum for help and advice or even just to express how you feel.
Again, thank you I will do xxx

Yeliab

Aug 22, 2023
I'm so very sorry to hear that - I know how that feels, and it is very difficult.
But if it helps, know that it's your mum's brain that is fading - not her heart. She still knows you in her heart.
Her brain may just need a few minutes to catch up and process what she is seeing (you).
My Dad has failed to recognize me a few times, but again, as we start talking he then knows who I am - I believe that is just his brain catching up. He may not always call me by the right name, or even a name at all, but his heart knows me. Your mum knows you.
All the best - this forum is a good place to ask questions, vent, or even just hear other stories.
Take care

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maraid