My mother is finally at peace

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
I just wanted to let you all know that my mother passed away early yesterday morning, peacefully in hospital. All the family had been there for the previous two days. She was not conscious so its unlikely that she knew we were there but I am glad I had that time with her.

Mum was admitted two weeks ago with a broken hip after a fall in the CH, she recovered well from the operation but stopped eating a week ago. The doctors advised there was no benefit to her to continue to encourage her to eat, or to treat the erratic heartbeat she developed and mild chest infection so we agreed to put her onto the End of Life Pathway.

I can't praise the staff at The hospital enough for their sympathetic care of mum whilst she was there, their unfailing cheerfulness and help made this difficult time easier to bear.

Thank you all on TP who have answered my questions over the last few years, I am grateful to you all. I have not really been able to help much with others on this journey but I know that you all will be there in time of need to help them.

God bless you all.

Rowena

Last edited by a moderator:

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Rowena, My sincere condolences to you on the death of your mum.
It's good to read that your mum received sympathetic care whilst in hospital.

turbo

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
So sorry to hear your news. Good to know that the BRI came through for you as it is our local hospital too so quite reassuring although hopefully not too soon. Many condolences on your loss.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Talking Point mobile app

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
Sorry to read of your sad loss Rowena. Even though she was unconscious, I believe she will have known that you were there.

Trevillion

Feb 6, 2011
Dear Rowena, so sorry to hear of your loss and glad you were supported well by those caring for your Mum.
Take care.
x

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Talking Point mobile app

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Im so sorry for your loss. It's pleasing that your mum got the support and great care when her needs were greatest.

Wishing you peace and strength in the days ahead xxxxx

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Sorry you lost your Mum to this dreadful disease. I am glad the staff helped to give her ease at the end of her life. Hope everything goes well in the next few days, it is hard to say your final goodbyes.

Sue.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
sending sympathy.
The Liverpool pathway receives such bad press, those of us that have walked it with our loved ones know that it is not as portrayed so often.

Be good to yourself. x

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
sorry for your loss..glad it was a peacefull ending and the hospital care was so good...

nightowl

Jul 22, 2009
UK
I'm sorry to hear that you mum has passed away. Things happened much the same for my mum and, whilst I can imagine how you must be feeling, your post also eased my mind a little. I wish you every comfort in the next few weeks and the peace of mind to live your life as you wish. I'll be thinking of you.

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Our condolences. Sorry to learn of your news but pleased the end was peaceful and that you were together when she was taken. Strength and comfort for you and family members in the coming days.

Resigned

Feb 23, 2010
Wiltshire
Thank you everyone for your kind words of condolence.

Now that I am nobody's child, I do feel strange and a bit silly, I am after all in my 50's with children of my own. I can't really believe she's gone but then it hits me that she has been released from the torment of dementia and then I find myself smiling, imagining her flying around the sky whooping and singing in utter freedom, something she hadn't experienced in so long.

We have arranged the funeral for Wednesday and I am intending to say a poem - The Reminiscence by Anne Bronte, the first three verses. I found it in a book which had belonged to my mother so I know she will recognise it. I just hope I am strong enough on the day.

R