My Mom stopped walking

Amvozz

Feb 25, 2024
Is it possible for a patient to just stop walking out of the blue on their own? My Mom is in the fourth stage of the disease and up until a few days ago she has been mobile. Now she refuses to walk on her own and my Dad is using a wheelchair to have her use the bathroom or to take her from the bedroom to the living room. Any information would be helpful .Thank you

TryingToRetainGrace

Aug 23, 2019
Is it possible for a patient to just stop walking out of the blue on their own? My Mom is in the fourth stage of the disease and up until a few days ago she has been mobile. Now she refuses to walk on her own and my Dad is using a wheelchair to have her use the bathroom or to take her from the bedroom to the living room. Any information would be helpful .Thank you
My mum basically overnight stopped walking and talking. It was rather out of the blue and she never regained them I’m afraid, although there are different cases so might not be forever for your mum.

Sending you all the best

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hello @Amvozz
This happened to my mum. It started with increasing anxiety and difficulty getting up and then putting herself on the floor. It happened over a period of a few weeks but getting gradually worse.
Sadly for me I meant I was no longer able to care for her at home 😢 she’s further along tho - probably stage 6.

Amvozz

Feb 25, 2024
Hello @Amvozz
This happened to my mum. It started with increasing anxiety and difficulty getting up and then putting herself on the floor. It happened over a period of a few weeks but getting gradually worse.
Sadly for me I meant I was no longer able to care for her at home 😢 she’s further along tho - probably stage 6.
I’m so sorry to hear this I truly feel for all who have loved ones battling this terrible disease. My Mom has had this for about 5 years now and this just happened over the course of a few days ago. My Dad also has to care for my special needs sister who is bed bound so it’s not easy. However he dies have help for my sister , he’s looking to get aid for my Mom . I pray he does .. It’s just so hard to see loved ones like this. Thank you for replying

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Amvozz
Yes it is possible.
I had been caring for my OH for about 6 yrs. She was walking about the house using two sticks or leaning on the walls or furniture, but OK. She managed stairs. If we were going to go far she'd use a wheelchair. She could get in and out of the car.
Then one day she had a fall. Not serious, but because she was on blood thinners, in case of any internal damage, I took her to hospital. She was there for two weeks or so.
Whilst she was there she developed the feeling that the floor was water and was unsafe, and so she wouldn't get out of bed. Yes, she forgot how to walk. Trying to get her up with a frame proved too difficult for her to process mentally.
That was 18 months or more ago now, and since then she hasn't been out of bed or a chair - we have a hoist to lift her from one to the other.
Our world turned upside down!
She is now, what with weight loss, muscle wastage etc definitely no longer weight bearing!
It takes a lot of adjustment, especially with toileting.

Best wishes for the trying times ahead with your mon.