My Man

harebrained

Oct 22, 2016
Norfolk
Hi everyone
My first time taking part on TP. My man was diagnosed with Lewy Bodies just over three years ago & I think it had been coming on for a couple of years before that. First real sign was when he had to sign a cheque in the Bank & couldn't, looking back now I see the things I closed my eye's to. Didn't want to see it. He is my world, married for 46 years & have always done everything together. A man who could turn his hand to anything now can do so little.It's been a steep learning curb for me as I now do everything that he did & I hate it. Not that I do it but I feel upset for him. He also has the Parkinson symptoms, stiffness & pain did have sundowning but memantine has helped a lot. I am so pleased to have taken this step and can now share my thoughts . It's a very lonely life. Thank you all for being there.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello harebrained
welcome to TP
your man sounds to be quite something and the 2 of you an impressive team - tough, isn't it when many of the roles are reversed and the team has to work differently - your description will resonate with many here
I'm glad you've joined this supportive community; there's always someone here to chat with and share experiences, which has broken the isolation I felt looking after my dad
best wishes to you both

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Welcome to TP hairebrained, so sorry that you and your husband find yourself in this situation, but good you have found TP.
It is very hard to have to do everything yourself and so sad to see our loved ones who were once so able, struggling with even the simplest things.
I hope there is lots you can still enjoy together, the simplest things become very precious.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

harebrained

Oct 22, 2016
Norfolk
Welcome

Welcome to TP hairebrained, so sorry that you and your husband find yourself in this situation, but good you have found TP.
It is very hard to have to do everything yourself and so sad to see our loved ones who were once so able, struggling with even the simplest things.
I hope there is lots you can still enjoy together, the simplest things become very precious.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you all for the replies & warm welcome. We used to love Bird Watching & walking but am afraid hubby's hands tremble so can't hold binoculars & can't walk distances anymore. We now do small slow ambles & he can enjoy the birds in the garden. We live in the country & hardly see a soul even when we do a little walk. Can feel very isolated, we literally are together 24/7. I AM SO PLEASED I TOOK THE PLUNGE & JOINED TP

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi everyone
My first time taking part on TP. My man was diagnosed with Lewy Bodies just over three years ago & I think it had been coming on for a couple of years before that. First real sign was when he had to sign a cheque in the Bank & couldn't, looking back now I see the things I closed my eye's to. Didn't want to see it. He is my world, married for 46 years & have always done everything together. A man who could turn his hand to anything now can do so little.It's been a steep learning curb for me as I now do everything that he did & I hate it. Not that I do it but I feel upset for him. He also has the Parkinson symptoms, stiffness & pain did have sundowning but memantine has helped a lot. I am so pleased to have taken this step and can now share my thoughts . It's a very lonely life. Thank you all for being there.

Oh harebrained, I completely empathise with everything you say here. We too have been married 46 years and Mick was a research engineer. He was very in to DIY and renovated our 15th century home. I am now the one wielding the screwdriver which has come hard. He was the one with the sense of direction and he did most of the driving when we were out together. Like you, everything is now down to me. It's amazing what you can learn to do in your 60s. It is good that we are here for one another and that we understand what each other is facing. Keep posting. Hugs from me x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
Thank you all for the replies & warm welcome. We used to love Bird Watching & walking but am afraid hubby's hands tremble so can't hold binoculars & can't walk distances anymore. We now do small slow ambles & he can enjoy the birds in the garden. We live in the country & hardly see a soul even when we do a little walk. Can feel very isolated, we literally are together 24/7. I AM SO PLEASED I TOOK THE PLUNGE & JOINED TP

It comes with the experience, the loneliness that is. I don't live in the country but still feel very isolated. Try and find some form of support from somewhere or someone as you need to take care of yourself too. xx

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hello hairbrained.. You need to contact Alzheimers Society and/or Parkinsons society. They will be able to point you, in the right direction, for support and help. It can be a very long journey, You need to start sorting things out as soon as possible. Don't think (like I did) "Oh we are fine for now." Just make a start now with Alzheimers society . They are so kind and understanding and will help you in all kinds of ways. Good luck and keep posting.x