My LPOA Is Being Ignored

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
Hi. I'm not quite sure which forum this fits into, but as it relates to LPOA I'll try this one. I hold LPOA for Health/Welfare & Finance for mum who has no capacity whatsover.

Last August, mum stopped eating. At that time, she was being pumped full of Oral Nutritional Supplements. As she had stopped eating, was in pain, bedridden and very distressed with no quality of life, I had a frank discussion with her GP and it was agreed that the ONS would be withdrawn so that the natural course of events could unfold. The GP and I felt that the ONS were serving no purpose other than to prolong her suffering.

After about a week or so, mum's appetite began to return little by little and her weight, although very low, remained stable. It became clear that the ONS had been making mum feel full, suppressing her appetite for real food.

A couple of months later, mum's care home closed down and she was moved to another nursing home. As soon as she arrived, the dementia unit manager began to pressure me into reinstating the supplements. I asked to speak with the dietician so that I could be more fully informed and it was agreed that, given mum's advanced stage of dementia, a food first approach should be adopted with the addition of a maintenance dose of ONS - just one Aymes shake daily to help to keep her comfortable. Mum was eating again, although only small amounts, as is to be expected.

When I visit mum I tend to go during the lunch period so that I can feed mum myself and gauge her oral intake. During the last 3 weeks or so, mum hasn't eaten any of her lunch at all. I've also noticed ONS wrappers in her bin. I had my suspicions, so today I requested mum's GP records and discovered that she is now on 5 ONS daily. There has been no consultation with me from the GP, care home or dietician. The ONS prescription was increased on 24th April.

The requested GP records also revealed that mum had her Covid booster on 19th April. There was a copy of a consent form with my name written in the signature box, stating that I had given consent by phone - I had not as I didn't know anything about it.

Other alterations have been made to mum's medication without consultation with me. In fact, unless I ask staff at the care home, I don't get any updates with regards to mum's health and well being and when I do ask I usually get the most non-committal, nondescript response. I can't help but think that I'm deliberately being kept in the dark.

I would really appreciate some shared experiences regarding communication between care homes and relatives. I have no yardstick by which to measure my experience and before I have a word with the care home manager, it would be handy to know if this is the norm and I'm expecting too much. As mum's LPOA, I would have expected more in the way of consultation.

Thanks in advance.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @luggy, I would expect to be asked about things such as Covid boosters. My mum's care home asked me every time even though they knew I'd agree. I'd also expect them to talk to you about changes to diet etc.
I'd ask for a meeting with the care home manager and explain what happened before and express your concerns about your name being forged on the consent form. I'm not sure if having LPA makes that much difference, but as the member of the family keeping an eye out for your mum they should certainly consult you about things. I wouldn't go in all guns blazing at first, just raise the points you have made here and ask for their response. It might also be worth trying to get hold of the new GP to express your concerns about what has been happening.
Both you and the care home want the best for your mum so falling out over her care isn't in anyone's interests, but you also need to be able to trust them.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hi @luggy

Mumhas been in 3 homes over the years. I have always been informed of medication changes and was chased this week for my consent over covid booster.

They certainly shouldn’t have recorded your consent without gaining it!

Im in the home a lot so maybe they are quick to update me - but when I walk in the nurse always grabs me to say if anything significant has happened. If someone has had a fall I know relatives are informed.

what they do tell me is that many relatives don’t bother and they leave messages and don’t get replies. If that’s the case in other homes I do wonder if more lax homes don’t bother with communication at all.

I think I would probably try a ‘friendly chat’ and tell them what you expect to be informed about and the timeframe for that.

Regarding the ONS I wouldn’t be surprised if someone without any of your mum’s history just decided it would be a good thing and didn’t take the time to look properly at her notes 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

sue31

Oct 2, 2023
Medway
Hi. I'm not quite sure which forum this fits into, but as it relates to LPOA I'll try this one. I hold LPOA for Health/Welfare & Finance for mum who has no capacity whatsover.

Last August, mum stopped eating. At that time, she was being pumped full of Oral Nutritional Supplements. As she had stopped eating, was in pain, bedridden and very distressed with no quality of life, I had a frank discussion with her GP and it was agreed that the ONS would be withdrawn so that the natural course of events could unfold. The GP and I felt that the ONS were serving no purpose other than to prolong her suffering.

After about a week or so, mum's appetite began to return little by little and her weight, although very low, remained stable. It became clear that the ONS had been making mum feel full, suppressing her appetite for real food.

A couple of months later, mum's care home closed down and she was moved to another nursing home. As soon as she arrived, the dementia unit manager began to pressure me into reinstating the supplements. I asked to speak with the dietician so that I could be more fully informed and it was agreed that, given mum's advanced stage of dementia, a food first approach should be adopted with the addition of a maintenance dose of ONS - just one Aymes shake daily to help to keep her comfortable. Mum was eating again, although only small amounts, as is to be expected.

When I visit mum I tend to go during the lunch period so that I can feed mum myself and gauge her oral intake. During the last 3 weeks or so, mum hasn't eaten any of her lunch at all. I've also noticed ONS wrappers in her bin. I had my suspicions, so today I requested mum's GP records and discovered that she is now on 5 ONS daily. There has been no consultation with me from the GP, care home or dietician. The ONS prescription was increased on 24th April.

The requested GP records also revealed that mum had her Covid booster on 19th April. There was a copy of a consent form with my name written in the signature box, stating that I had given consent by phone - I had not as I didn't know anything about it.

Other alterations have been made to mum's medication without consultation with me. In fact, unless I ask staff at the care home, I don't get any updates with regards to mum's health and well being and when I do ask I usually get the most non-committal, nondescript response. I can't help but think that I'm deliberately being kept in the dark.

I would really appreciate some shared experiences regarding communication between care homes and relatives. I have no yardstick by which to measure my experience and before I have a word with the care home manager, it would be handy to know if this is the norm and I'm expecting too much. As mum's LPOA, I would have expected more in the way of consultation.

Thanks in advance.
After having a horrendous experience with a ‘care home’ and the allocated Gp with my mother very recently I would put your concerns in writing, by email to the manager requesting a meeting to discuss all of these points.
I would also copy in their head office so they know you are taking this seriously.
This should definitely not be happening - to any resident without consultation.
If it isn’t resolved to your satisfaction next step is the CQC.
Good luck - don’t let this slide.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
During a recent hospitalisation, I was asked if Mum was on antibiotics and gave what I thought was an honest answer of no. The doctor later showed me the records which showed that Mum had recently been prescribed a course of antibiotics, medication that the home knew that I'd refuse. The hospital was horrified when I confirmed that not only did I have no knowledge, I'd also visited the day that this prescription was issued.

I have said that Mum was put in a home as I couldn't cope with her wandering but at no point did I relinquish care and put her up for adoption. We WILL be taking this further once Mum has a new home.

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences. My plan is to speak with the care home manager and also the dietician and GP, as they have all had a hand in this.

When the decision was made last August to withdraw mum's ONS, it followed months of careful thought, research & soul searching. At the time, I had the full support of mum's GP, the (then) care home manager and mum's carers. Not once did any of them question my decision and try to reverse it. When mum moved to her new care home, I made it clear in writing what my wishes were, but I knew immediately that they wanted to challenge it. I feel so angry that such an important decision on my part has been completely reversed without any consultation with myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reaching_out_for_ help