1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Il Gufo

Il Gufo Registered User

Feb 27, 2013
    Hi, haven't posted for a while, but wanted to share the news that my lovely Mum passed away on January 10th.
    She collapsed at the care home where she had been living for the past 15 months, and was taken to hospital in an ambulance. She was vomiting and had stomach pains. Initially they thought she may have a perforated bowel - but a scan showed she had pancreatic cancer, and a shadow on her lung. We didn't want any invasive procedures, and asked that she be kept pain free and comfortable. The doctor said she would just receive palliative care.
    On calling the care home to keep them updated, they immediately said we could take Mum there for end of life care. They told us that it was Mum's home, and they wanted to look after her. Although not a nursing home, they would call in district nurses and Macmillan nurses if necessary. So after just four days in hospital, Mum went home to be with people who loved and cared for her. They put a camp bed in Mum's room so one of us children could stay at night. She was on a morphine pump so wasn't really aware of where she was - but we had the comfort of knowing she was with people she knew.
    This was a Tuesday, and Mum died on the following Saturday surrounded by her family. Although it is terribly sad to lose Mum, her dementia was advancing at a rapid rate, and we lost our 'real' Mum months ago. They were going to move Mum to the dementia wing at the care home, and we were worried how this would affect her. It seems that she made up her mind she wasn't going to be moved :)
    During Mum's time with dementia, I have found a lot of comfort just reading about other people's journey on this website, and would like to wish you all the very best.
    We like to think Mum is now dementia free, dancing above the clouds with her beloved husband, my dad Fred xx

2. Gigglemore

Gigglemore Registered User

Oct 18, 2013
    British Isles
    We like to think Mum is now dementia free, dancing above the clouds with her beloved husband, my dad Fred xx[/QUOTE]

Condolences on the passing of your dear mum. What a lovely comforting thought that she is dancing above the clouds.

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I'm sorry to read of your mum's passing. Sending my condolences.

4. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    I too am sorry to read of your Mum's passing, now free from her suffering. Condolences to you and your family.

5. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    I'm so sorry to read of your dear Mum's passing-but love the thought of her dancing with your Dad.

Wishing you strength at this sad time

Lyn T XX

6. rajahh

rajahh Registered User

Aug 29, 2008
    Hertfordshire
    We try ut are never really ready fir the goodbye. Sending a hug

7. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm so sorry to hear of your mother's passing but it sounds that it was peaceful, pain-free and serene, surrounded by people who loved her.

8. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    Sending my sympathy and loving thoughts to you and all your family.

9. chris53

chris53 Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    London
    Such a warm and heartfelt post from you in your time of sorrow, and will bring a smile to many of us here:) thank you, I wish you strength and peace in the coming days and weeks and we are all here for you should you need us.
    Chris x

10. Lulabelle

Lulabelle Registered User

Jul 2, 2012
    South West France
    So sorry to hear you have lost your Mum but how heartwarming to hear that the care home were so kind to you and your Mum when you really needed it.
    My sympathy to you and your family.

11. Il Gufo

Il Gufo Registered User

Feb 27, 2013
    Thank you all for your support - I'd forgotten how comforting it is to hear from other posters.

12. VickyG

VickyG Registered User

Feb 6, 2013
    Birmingham
    So sorry that your Mum has passed away, but glad to hear that she's dancing with your Dad once again, what a lovely thought x

13. Tears Falling

Tears Falling Registered User

Jul 8, 2013
    Sorry to read about your dear mum. :(

14. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    You lost your Mum to Dementia a while back,......but the sadness will be real right now, because now you can't even visit anymore. I am so sorry.
    Dance on.....x.

15. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    I'm so sorry to hear this, but so happy to think of her dancing above the clouds with your dad. What a lovely thought.

16. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    So sorry to read your sad news, but glad you can see a way forward..

17. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    So sad to read your news. How wonderful you had the warm support when you needed it. xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

18. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I`m so sorry.

19. Mother goose

Mother goose Registered User

Jul 5, 2012
    Co.Sligo, Ireland
    I'm so sorry to read your sad news.
    They must be such dedicated & caring staff at your mum's care home, how they wanted to look after her & said, 'it's her home'.
    Thinking of you & your family.

20. Soobee

Soobee Registered User

Aug 22, 2009
    South
    sending my condolences to you. What a good care home to look after her so well in her final days. x