My lovely Mum has gone

Il Gufo

Feb 27, 2013
Hi, haven't posted for a while, but wanted to share the news that my lovely Mum passed away on January 10th.
She collapsed at the care home where she had been living for the past 15 months, and was taken to hospital in an ambulance. She was vomiting and had stomach pains. Initially they thought she may have a perforated bowel - but a scan showed she had pancreatic cancer, and a shadow on her lung. We didn't want any invasive procedures, and asked that she be kept pain free and comfortable. The doctor said she would just receive palliative care.
On calling the care home to keep them updated, they immediately said we could take Mum there for end of life care. They told us that it was Mum's home, and they wanted to look after her. Although not a nursing home, they would call in district nurses and Macmillan nurses if necessary. So after just four days in hospital, Mum went home to be with people who loved and cared for her. They put a camp bed in Mum's room so one of us children could stay at night. She was on a morphine pump so wasn't really aware of where she was - but we had the comfort of knowing she was with people she knew.
This was a Tuesday, and Mum died on the following Saturday surrounded by her family. Although it is terribly sad to lose Mum, her dementia was advancing at a rapid rate, and we lost our 'real' Mum months ago. They were going to move Mum to the dementia wing at the care home, and we were worried how this would affect her. It seems that she made up her mind she wasn't going to be moved :)
During Mum's time with dementia, I have found a lot of comfort just reading about other people's journey on this website, and would like to wish you all the very best.
We like to think Mum is now dementia free, dancing above the clouds with her beloved husband, my dad Fred xx

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
We like to think Mum is now dementia free, dancing above the clouds with her beloved husband, my dad Fred xx[/QUOTE]

Condolences on the passing of your dear mum. What a lovely comforting thought that she is dancing above the clouds.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I too am sorry to read of your Mum's passing, now free from her suffering. Condolences to you and your family.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm so sorry to read of your dear Mum's passing-but love the thought of her dancing with your Dad.

Wishing you strength at this sad time

Lyn T XX

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Such a warm and heartfelt post from you in your time of sorrow, and will bring a smile to many of us here:) thank you, I wish you strength and peace in the coming days and weeks and we are all here for you should you need us.
Chris x

Lulabelle

Jul 2, 2012
South West France
So sorry to hear you have lost your Mum but how heartwarming to hear that the care home were so kind to you and your Mum when you really needed it.
My sympathy to you and your family.

Il Gufo

Feb 27, 2013
Thank you all for your support - I'd forgotten how comforting it is to hear from other posters.

VickyG

Feb 6, 2013
Birmingham
So sorry that your Mum has passed away, but glad to hear that she's dancing with your Dad once again, what a lovely thought x

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
You lost your Mum to Dementia a while back,......but the sadness will be real right now, because now you can't even visit anymore. I am so sorry.
Dance on.....x.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
So sad to read your news. How wonderful you had the warm support when you needed it. xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Mother goose

Jul 5, 2012
Co.Sligo, Ireland
I'm so sorry to read your sad news.
They must be such dedicated & caring staff at your mum's care home, how they wanted to look after her & said, 'it's her home'.
Thinking of you & your family.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
sending my condolences to you. What a good care home to look after her so well in her final days. x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA