My First Respite

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I have loads to tell you all, which I will do over the next few days, but I have to tell you all now that it was absolutely fantastic:)

My very first special moment came just 10 minutes after leaving the house. I was driving to Alan's daughter (because we were going to set off from her house) and I had a very strong realisation that I was not having respite in order to have a break from Alan, or the illness, but that I was being given the opportunity to do what I always used to do!!!! I would have done this sort of thing before Alan was ill. It felt good.

I did not feel guilty even for a moment and I was able to leave everything behind straight away just like I would have done before. I felt confident about the care package from Crossroads.

I walked miles - up hill and down dale and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Here is a link to some photos http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/helen...?authkey=Gv1sRgCOLnoOe5vcCyPA&feat=directlink

Alan was fine and was able to say clearly when I got back that he missed me a lot. The sitters all said he was fine but I will tell in more detail once I've settled back in.

Love to you all

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Fantastic Helen. Your report about your respite, about Alan, and your photos.
It sounds as if it couldn`t have been better.
Well done.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
What a tonic your post was. It is so good to hear that you had such an enjoyable time. I hope that when I go away next month I will have the same positive attitude. Your post has given me just the right attitude to going on my holiday!

I loved your photos. Derbyshire is just around the corner to me and has always had a very special place in my heart. Wonderful photos but I couldn't decide which was you and which was your step daughter?

xxTinaT

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I must confess - I've been willing everything to go well for this so I am both relieved and delighted.

Lovely pictures.

HelenMG

May 1, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
doing what you used to do

Dear Helen,
It is so great to hear that you were doing what you used to or would have done if you could. That is what I missed too and am finding again (I was away this weekend with friends sewing! while Dad was cared for in his new home). It is so lovely to be able to find oneself again and do what we we used to do, be who we used to be, while knowing too that our loved one is being cared for, misses us, but knows we are still here. I hope you have more respite time to invigorate yourself. Dad does seem to know that he is ok where he is and that it is ok for us to not be there all the time - in his own words - some of the time at least -. I get comfort from that. I missed him like hell this weekend and was glad to see him this evening but I so so enjoyed my weekend away!
Big Hug
HelenMG.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Lovely photos - you look so relaxed! I'm glad everything went well and that Alan was OK. Izzy x

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Helen..

You've been on my mind all weekend...so pleased you enjoyed your break..:)

It's reassuring to know that Alan was well looked after.

Overall it seems to have been a huge success...:)

Lovely photos!

Good to have you back...:D

Love xx

susiesue

Mar 15, 2007
Herts
Pleased to have you back and delighted you had a good weekend. What a beautiful place!!!

Lots of love

living in hope

Dec 14, 2008
yorkshire
Hi Helen,
Glad you enjoyed the respite, I like your comment about being given the opportunity to do what you always used to, I have a holiday booked next year with my sister and shall use that comment as I know Brian would have wanted me to go before he was ill, and indeed when we came back from our last holiday together, we knew Brian would not go away again and he said "you can still go, you could go with ?" he couldn't remember her name but we fathomed out who he meant! Your break sounds lovely and will hopefully have recharged your batteries.
love
Lorraine

Scottie45

Jan 25, 2009
CoAntrim
Dear Helen

Welcome back,so very glad you had a great time,and all was well with Alan,that was lovely when Alan told you he had missed you.The place looks really lovely,you photos are great take care Marian xx

Beezed

Apr 28, 2009
Southampton
It's so lovely to read happy posts from time to time. Looks like you had a great day. Hope you have many more.
Regards
Jeanne

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Hi Helen, good to have you back, the photo's of the place you went to are lovely no wonder you had such a nice time, It must have been great for you to come home to Alan and see he's been fine, this is just what respite is supposed to be about.
We dont have Crossroads here, I remember looking for them the first time I read a post of yours talking about there sitting service, unfortunately we dont have them in my neck of the woods or indeed any other sitting in service that I know of, but for people like yourself who able to keep there loved ones at home ,this kind of service is great, every-one needs a break from time to time.
I hope this was your first of many breaks Helen.

Love to you both Lynn xx

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Helen
Such a happy post. Lovely pictures. You look so relaxed in picture 12. May there be many more breaks like this for you. Love, Nan XXX

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Hi Helen,
So glad you enjoyed your 'time out'! All that planning was definately worthwhile and I'm sure the trip was like a tonic to you. It looks gorgeous.
Best wishes, Gill x