1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

My father with alzheimers

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by Spitty, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Spitty

Spitty Registered User

Nov 7, 2015
    My father has had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's for 18 months,he is 85 years old and lives with my mum.He was put on tablets to help slow down his memory loss ,but they gave him a bad stomach ,he didn't want to eat ,couldn't go to the toilet,so he wouldn't take them .I rang the memory clinic ,who discharged him as he was no longer on tablets.He always does all the shopping for mum but is now forgetting where the shops are,and even though he has a list with 3 or 4 things on ,he brings home the complete opposite to the list.i go down four times a week and take him to do the main shopping,he used to do all the cooking ,but we have had to try and stop that and just leave him to do basic meals,myself and sister in law do the main meals.My mum has a bad heart and I was wandering who the first port of call is to get any help for them besides family.My mum is 86 years old.Sorry if it's a long note ,but just wanted to give an outline of my dads alzheimers

2. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Sorry you have so much on your plate at the moment.
    Do they both receive non means tested Attendance Allowance (would advise you get help with filling in this form) ? The would both qualify from what you have said. A really helpful place to get local information is your local carers organisation - they usually run carers cafes (it is worth taking a couple of hours off work to go to one of these just for info) or will have someone come out to you to talk through the steps you can take to get extra help(which you certainly need) including a carers assessment from Social Services which will give your parents some free care hours to give you guys a break from caring.

Alzheimers Society also have a helpline where they will talk you through your options for getting some extra help 0300 222 1122
    and Age Uk also have a very useful helpline 0800 169 2081.

but I think your local carers organisation as your first stop and/or your local alzheimers society

hope this helps, keep posting there is lots of support on here

3. Spitty

Spitty Registered User

Nov 7, 2015
    My father has alzheimers

Thank you so much for your reply and advice ,it is very much appreciated