My father thinks I’ve kidnapped him

Staky

Jun 10, 2019
Since the death of my mother my father has had a social decline and became withdrawn. I knew something wasn’t right with him and started getting Carers in to look after him 4 times a day. I have taken him to the gp only to be fobbed off this is my father I know something isn’t right. One day after the Carers had left he went out at 9pm to go to an Optisians appointment and got hit by a car. He has broken his leg really badly and shattered his face. Now he has been released from hospital at lives with me and partner and 3 children. I try everything I can to make him happy and all he tells everyone is I’ve kidnapped him because he can no longer live alone safely. I’ve tried taking him to residential homes to see if that’s something he would like but he really dislikes them I’m at a loss as to how I can keep him safe and happy. I now finally have a diagnosis of vascular dementia.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums Staky. Sorry to read of your father's problems and the loss of your mother. That is a hard situation for you all. Do you have outside carers who can help your dad with personal care and maybe a siting service to look after him at home while you go out and while you look after your children. I wonder if he might settle down after a while. My partner has vascular dementia and never accepts our current extra care housing as being her home. She thinks it's a care home and occasionally pines for the home she brought up her children in and where her mum also lived. It's not as bad as thinking she was kidnapped of course.
Hopefully someone with more experience will be around to advise.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I would try to arrange a couple of weeks respite and say he needs to convalesce. Don’t ask his opinion. Choose the care home you think best and get SS onside. If he seems to do alright extend the stay and make it permanent.

Staky

Jun 10, 2019
Thank you both for the lovely helpful replies. I have tried respite but he dislikes it so much he becomes angry trying to get out the door no one will no longer have him because he scares the other residents. I am currently at work 2 days a week and have a sit in care company to stay with him. All he wants is to go back to his own home but there is no way he would be safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trey0407