My dad's passing - update

Willowgill

Mar 29, 2008
South Yorkshire
Thank you so much for all your lovely messages - it's so nice to know people understand and take the time to respond.

Unfortunately after I'd posted the original message the nurse at the care home rang again and said that we had to go back down there as the police needed to talk to us. It seems that the locum who was on call last night and originally said he would sign the death certificate then changed his mind and decided to refer it to the coroner. There was no question of suspicious circumstances but as Dad had not seen his GP for over a fortnight he felt he could not sign it himself. So we had to meet with a young policeman who could not have been kinder, my husband then had to formerly identify my dad and we had to give a statement. We were told that a funeral company (not the one we had specified) would then collect Dad's body which would be taken to the morgue at the hospital I had just had him discharged from last week. We were obviously devastated but had no option but to go along with it and were told that it just a formaility and the coroner would ring today having signed the certificate. A girl did ring eventually this morning and asked a series of questions then said she was going to speak to Dad's GP and would get back to me. I explained that although the doctor had not seen Dad himself he had been in hospital and had obviously been seen by both doctors and a consultant! Some hours later someone else rang and explained that the GP wouldn't sign the certificate so they had had to contact the hospital but the consultant wasn't in today and had arranged a meeting tomorrow, if they are unable to sign it we may be looking at a post mortem! So we have been in limbo today - unable to arrange the funeral and all that goes with it. We both feel totally shattered - we've worked from home but I think it's just the stress of the last 48 hours catching up. I feel so cross with the GP too - if he'd only gone to see Dad to admit him to the hospital instead of doing it over the phone none of the above would have happened. I hate the thought of my poor dad being in the morgue.

Meanwhile I went to the home and collected some of Dad's belongings from his room - why do such innocuous things as his glasses and slippers cause more grief than his wardrobe of clothes :( The nurse also handed me a little packet with his wedding ring in which had the same effect.

Mum was fine today which did help to bring some normality.

Gill

sussexsue

Jun 10, 2009
West Sussex
Oh Gill, what a nightmare for you. Why are the simplest things in life so difficult these days. Hope it all gets sorted soon.

xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Dear Gill,

Oh dear what a day you've had:eek: I am so sorry that you have had to go through all this and that it is ongoing.

Sending love and a warm (HUG)

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
So sorry, Willowgill, and I share your frustration that the doc referred to hospital over the phone instead of saving you this extra unwarranted heartache.

I do know what you mean about glasses and slippers. :(

I do hope you get some peace. Take care of yourself.

big hug from x pied x

Jane3006

Jan 31, 2010
Hi, just wanted to say I feel for you, we had to stop a post-mortem being carried out on my father last year, which was all caused by a GP we didn't know. Luckily for us the top dog at the coroners office sorry cant remember his title rang dads GP and put pressure on him to sign. I really will never understand why people have to make a traumatic and terrible time worse. I really am thinking of you and sending love

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Oh dear Gill, just what you don't need. I don't know the legalities around signing a death certificate but the fact your dad had been in hospital must count for something.

I'll keep everything crossed for you, that the consultant can sort something out.

Take care xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Oh dear Gill, you could really do without this.

I hate the thought of my poor dad being in the morgue.

My own view is that once a person has died, their body is not that person anymore. Just a vessel. Your dad's 'soul' will be somewhere better. I'm not religious in the slightest, just my view - both before my dad died, and after.

Care Bear

May 28, 2010
I just wanted to say I'm so sorry about your dad. I can understand that you are angry with the GP, I would be too but you will have time to say good bye to your dad and I hope that gives you some comfort.

My thoughts are with you.

Amy

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
but you will have time to say good bye to your dad and I hope that gives you some comfort.
I'm very sorry you are going through this Gill. As Amy says, it will at least give time for farewells.
Unfortunately the glasses and slippers maybe only the start of the poignant reminders which hit us hard. I suppose it's because they are so very personal and they just reinforce the absence of the wearer. :( They look so forlorn without their owners.:(

Sending you some very big hugs today Gill and sharing your sorrow. Love Deborah
xx

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
Dear Gill,

Having been away from TP for some time I've only just learnt of your Dad's passing & the circumstances you now find yourself in.

It is hard to come to terms with the thought of a possible PM & the delay it causes in sorting the funeral. However having gone through something similar in June I found the Coroner's Office & everyone else concerned with my Aunt were very considerate & respectful. They also got things done as speedily as possible so I hope you find the same.

I hope that memories of happier times will soon soften the sorrow & pain you feel at the moment.

Take care of yourself now.

Mo
xx

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Dear Gill,
So very sorry to read your update, I hope that the consultant has a pen ready to sign the certificate today. Good to hear that your mum had a good day, long may that last.
Take care of yourself, kind regards, Jo

Willowgill

Mar 29, 2008
South Yorkshire
I'm so sorry I've not been able to come back and say thank you for all your kind messages and support until now. I finally received the death certificate last Wed and we were able to make all the arrangements for Dad's funeral which took place this Wed. Sad as the occasion was we had such a wonderful day with so many family and friends coming from all over to pay their last respects. I am so proud of my youngest son for the amazing courage he showed in standing up before everyone during the service and given a moving tribute to his granddad which was full of love, compassion and above all humour. I've never heard anyone give a round of applause at a funeral before :) Dad would have loved it. My mum was brought to the pub where I had arranged the funeral tea and she looked beautiful - the girls at the care home had done her hair and dressed her in a lovely black skirt and waistcoat I didn't even know she had. She had no idea why we were all there but enjoyed being the centre of attention and showed no signs of distress or upset when I took her back which was a relief. Two days on I am still trying to come to terms with it all and cry for no apparent reason - ringing BT yesterday to cancel their telephone number was so hard. I've been ringing that number almost daily for 23 years! However amongst all the grief is also relief that my poor dad passed from the suffering so quickly and we have such happy memories of his life with us.
Gill

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Gill, thank you for the update. What a star your youngest son is.!. What a lovely goodbye to your dad.

Turbo