Music to calm the many brows

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Margarita said:
The best Ipod docks around are the Apple one .

Hi Maggie - the problem is that the Apple docks are not wireless as far as I can see.

The challenge is that the dock has to be in a room 40-60 feet away from the speakers and there can be no cables.

The dock needs to connect to the speaker by radio signal and there are many solutions available - the best cost £700 for a main dock and satellite station, and another £200 for each additional satellite station.

In a care home environment I don't think the state of the art expensive stuff is appropriate, not because of the needs of the residents, but because it is expensive when trashed by staff or residents.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
OIC it’s because you want it in the main living room area, also in Jan room.

Unless your fund raising to raise the money for the the state of the art expensive stuff or ask for donations from a shop that supply them , like someone else said in this thread you can't do it, your have to rule out the expensive one .

Only other way around it , is to have 2 Ipods with two cheap docks.

One connect to care home speaker, then the other dock Ipod in Jan room .

OR the cheaper one you posted photos of sounds good idea , how much does all that cost ?

Also could get handy man , that can make a cupboard with a Lock, so that the residents don't trash it & a notice on the cupboard telling staff how to use the Ipod .

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
just an update.

The iBall has arrived and it works really well.

Oregon.jpg

Picture show it with two iPods, and with a £1 coin to show size - it was bigger than I expected [which is good!]

Haven't tried it at the bottom of the garden because of today's rain. But it does work from the top floor to the bottom floor of the house, wirelessly.

It works with the iPod mini I will give with it to the home and also the iPod Nano I have just bought.

Sound quality is good.

I'm trying it at the home next week.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
An update

I tool the iBall into Jan's home today and we tested it.

We put the iPod in a locked nurses room/pharmacy and the speaker at the other end of the home, and it broadcast and received beautifully.

Now the home manager has asked me whether four such combinations would work within the home, or whether the radio connections between the various iPods and iBall speakers would interfere with each other [that is my guess].

... watch this space....

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Good luck with your system Brucie.

Reading about ipods and the quality reminded me of the really expensive one my daughter's partner bought her for Christmas.
Unfortunately, she put her jacket in the washing machine and the ipod was still in it. When my tearful daughter explained what had happened and that it won't work. I replied but it will play water music.

I think I will stick to my day job !!!!!
Christine

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Norman, you and Bruce should get together for a chat:D
You would so enjoy each other's company:D
Barb & Ron;)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
You would so enjoy each other's company

Oh we do, Barb, we really do on the times we've met. Norman is an amazing and inspiring man.

Regarding the Oregon iBall - I rang Oregon and they told me they no longer produce it.

Back to the drawingboard.

I suspect for a care home a central server would be best as multiplying th cost of iBalls and iPods was going to reach that level of cost anyhow.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Forgive me Bruce & Norman, my idea of a joke.:)
Well I thought it was funny:D SORRY:)
You know I mean well (I Hope).
Barb X

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
No more tears about the ipod

My daughter is one very happy young lady. Her partner has bought her top of the range ipod.
I do hope it comes with a DO NOT WASH LABEL!

Christine

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
A Post Script to this thread.

Since I installed them at the care home the two iBalls have been in constant use.

On the odd occasion a care worker has asked me to change the selection of music on the iPods on which they are based - even with a couple of thousand music tracks, there must be repetition over time!

I've not seen anything to resemble them since they were removed from the market by the manufacturer, and this is a shame.

Brilliant technology.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I wouldn't worry about sound quality as it should be as good as a small radio. What might worry me is the draconian laws here about music in public places.:eek:

But of course I trust that you have delved into this:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch