Music that we go to...

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Chants do something that I can’t think of any other music that has the same factor. There is no need to understand the words and for non Christian folk, they are not necessarily relevant. But it is the beautiful cadences, the gentle ebb and flow that reach parts of our psyche that connect us to that response. Chants don’t rely on changes in tempo which I think has a calming effect and they don’t need drama to make their purpose understood.
Yes -this is why I seem to enjoy listening to it so much.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Its been a while, our journey continues for now with the ever slow ebb of decline. Something that caught my ear while driving home, it came on the radio just at the right time as I was deep as usual in my thoughts. A well known piece I think

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Its been a while, our journey continues for now with the ever slow ebb of decline. Something that caught my ear while driving home, it came on the radio just at the right time as I was deep as usual in my thoughts. A well known piece I think
That young man shows the difference between someone who has technical brilliance and one who shows remarkable sensitivity to piece.

I think that’s why I don’t like watching child prodigies perform, technically incredible but the connection with the music is not the same.

And some of Chopin’s nocturnes are among my favourites.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Every time I feel down I play this hit single from my youth. The band are so happy, especially Michael Murray(wearing glasses) that I can't help but feel upbeat for a while. Proof of the old maxim, 'smile and the world smiles with you'.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh me @karaokePete - that most certainly brought back happy memories - thank you!!😍

Of course I’ll now be singing it for the rest of the day! 😱

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I had one of those terribly down days...

I Can't Keep from Crying, Sometimes
Ten Years After

I can't keep from crying sometimes, girl
I can't keep from crying sometimes
My love is dead and gone
Don't you know that I'm all alone
I can't keep from crying sometimes, girl
Yeah

Early in the mornin'
About the break of day
Fall down on my knees, child
Fall down and I pray
I think about my baby
My baby's not around

I can't keep from crying in my soul, girl
In my soul, child

Late on in the evening
As the sun goes down
Think about my baby
My baby ain't around
Heart is filled with sadness
Eyes are filled with tears

I can't keep from crying in my soul, girl
In my soul, girl
My soul
Babe, I can't keep from crying in my soul

Songwriter: Al Kooper.
(For non-commercial use only.)

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
So sorry about your day, @Chizz
"If tomorrow never comes, will she know how much I loved her?" - I know the answer to this - YES!
I also know tomorrow WILL come - it's another day, and won't be as bad as today.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Every time I feel down I play this hit single from my youth. The band are so happy, especially Michael Murray(wearing glasses) that I can't help but feel upbeat for a while. Proof of the old maxim, 'smile and the world smiles with you'.

My daughter and son in law took us out for dinner and on to a show ‘Best I’d British 60s and 70s Rock’ on Saturday night. They played for two and a half hours and played everything from the Beatles and the Rolling Stones to Queen, T-Rex and Deep Purple.

The band was terrific, we had a great time and oh boy! the memories that came flooding back. Of course, mostly an older audience but we knew all the words. We all came out with big grins on our faces.

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012

Memories of when the choir I belonged to sang this (The Armed Man) - another thing I have had to give up. Very moving and while I weep for my situation it makes me realise there are so many people in the world suffering through war, famine, terrible situations. Bless you all.