Music Players

Singing Friend

Nov 5, 2014
London
Does anyone have any suggestions for a simple MP3 player or similar we could get and put music on for my mum to listen to. I have already got a Simple Music Player from http://www.dementiamusic.co.uk/, and put music on it for her. But it's SO simple that you can't choose what to listen to, it just plays when you lift the lid and stops when you close it. Which would be fine if it started from where it left off, but it just goes back to the beginning!

It doesn't seem to bother my mum all that much - but any of us who visit are getting a bit fed up with Haydn's Toy Symphony! (Or possibly Leopold Mozart, there seems to be some uncertainty as to who composed it ... but I digress!) It does let you skip on to the next piece, so we can listen to Bryn Terfel too, and sometimes get Mozart's Requiem, but rarely get to Janet Baker at the end of the playlist I put on there!

I wondered if there was anything around which is just as simple to use, but which has the capacity for someone (not necessarily my mum) to change the playlist occasionally. The only way to do it on this one is for me to take a laptop and plug it in.

Just seeing if the collective Talking Point experience has any suggestions to offer!

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Thanks for posting about the player. I thought that particular one played from where it left off so it’s good to know it doesn’t as I had this one as a possibility later on.

Sorry, no help to you I know.

Ludlow

Jul 20, 2016
SE England
I hadn't heard of this before but I've just looked at the website and it explicitly says "The music will always continue from where it last stopped" so perhaps your machine is faulty.
Try contacting the seller perhaps?

Singing Friend

Nov 5, 2014
London
I hadn't heard of this before but I've just looked at the website and it explicitly says "The music will always continue from where it last stopped" so perhaps your machine is faulty.
Try contacting the seller perhaps?

Hi, sorry I haven't been here for a bit - and it seems to have stopped sending me email messages when someone has replied. Anyway ...

I think the problem is that it does carry on from where it left off only if you don't switch it off at the mains. But my mum keeps doing that - she only seems to remember to switch things off at the mains switch, not by using the on/off switch on whatever appliance she's using. So one job for all visitors is to check the TV, her mobile phone charger, the radio, the bedside lamp, etc, etc ... all turned off and she can't understand why they don't work!

And the music machine then just starts at the beginning again, which is not a fault (although it would have been nice if it remembered where it was). It is a very basic MP3 player with no bells and whistles. Such is life!

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
We use Echos....other players are available! From my home, I can access Spotify, select a playlist or album and then play it on the Echo in my husbands care home. It does mean we have a phone call first. What usually happens is that he wants to go for his meal about an hour early. So I tell him I will put music on and when it stops it will be time to go for supper.
I have also written simple instructions and put them under the Echo....Echo play classic FM...
I don’t know if your mum would be able to manage that?