Music and movies...classical, opera and classic films...

Susan.J.

Jun 25, 2016
Australia
I've found some things that my 78 year old Mum with Alzheimer's Dementia is benefiting from, and wanted to share them in case they help you too. :) Playing DVD's of music concerts, in particular opera and classical help my Mum greatly. (Pavarotti, Amici Forever, The Three Tenors, The 10 Tenors and similar ones). She sings along with them and lays happily in bed watching them, calm and relaxed. The old James Bond films are another favourite of hers, as well as the ones from the era of Audrey Hepburn, Tony Curtis etc. They bring back good memories to her, she often recalls the films well. Relaxing music and movies are a major part of her life now, and it's great to find something that she happily relaxes with and enjoys. I recommend musicals, 'Singin' In The Rain', 'Seven Brides For Seven Brothers' etc, comedy with music. Nothing in depth with a difficult storyline to follow, just things to bring back the good old memories for her. Hope this has helped people here. :)

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Thank you for sharing. I agree, dvds of music have really helped my Mum settle too so that I can leave her whilst I do my chores around the house and she sits quite happily. Andre Rieu is her fave at the mo and we have every one of his!! I also got her James Last, a Strictly type dvd (she used to be a gold medallist ballroom dancer) as well as several old musicals. I hope your Mum continues to enjoy them. Xx

Susan.J.

Jun 25, 2016
Australia
A gold medalist ballroom dancer! Wow! :) I forgot, Andre Rieu is her favorite. She sings along to the DVDs and really enjoys herself. He's such a great entertainer. :)

Zana

May 12, 2016
A gold medalist ballroom dancer! Wow! :) I forgot, Andre Rieu is her favorite. She sings along to the DVDs and really enjoys herself. He's such a great entertainer. :)

As I read your first post I was going to suggest Andre Rieu, he is very interactive and the dresses of the ladies in his orchestra are so lovely it makes watching a joy...( my mother is a huge fan)

My MIL who has late stage Alzhiemers barely talks at all now but will happily sing or hum along to musicals and concert dvds.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
OH is not following full classical concerts as well as she used to, but I have the original 3 tenors on DVD and will get that on later. Thanks for the reminder, Susan.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
William used to also love dvds of concerts - being Irish/American, he loved Frank Patterson, the Irish Tenor. I had 3 hours of him on dvd. As William was very hard of hearing, it used to go at full volume. He also loved a trio of Priests who perform together - they are excellent, I have to say, performing some classical stuff, and some light opera. They go by "The Priests". Here, they did a rendition of The Little Drummer Boy with Shane McGowan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLSMGsvLMPo

William also loved old movies - as long as nobody shouted! He would get terribly upset if anyone was shouting or angry and I'd have to turn off the film. His father had been an alcoholic, which may explain why.

Zana

May 12, 2016
For anyone who is still able to get around with their loved one, the next Andre Rieu concert in cinemas is 18th July..

I took my mother last year. We dressed up in red white and blue and wore little orange hats (Netherlands national colour) and we had the most amazing time.
Seing this on the big screen was fantastic.

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Ooo on the big screen. Thank you Zana. Will look into doing that as Mum would love to do that!! X

tryingmybest

May 22, 2015
Thank you Zana

We have found a cinema not too far from us (about an hour away) putting on this concert on 23rd July. Mum is very excited so thank you so much for this as I wouldn't have known if it hadn't been for you posting. xx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare