Mum's roommate died

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother is in a shared room. Her roommate, who was 101 years old, died last Tuesday. Because my husband and I have been unable to visit because of illness, we didn't find out till yesterday.

Her problems were physical and she was reasonably cognitively intact. I realize she had had a long life but it's always a little sad when a familiar face leaves.

Fortunately, for lack of a better word, my mother is not aware of this. I don't even think she's aware that there was someone else in her room. She hasn't worn her glasses for several years plus she just doesn't seem to take much in. She will have a new roommate soon enough.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Joanne, hi
I don't know what to say, I'm sorry but it's not that bad, doesn't seem right but ....
Take good care of yourself and I hope your mother's new room mate fits right on in there.
with kind regards from Jo

Logan

Nov 1, 2010
That is indeed very sad, Joanne. A familiar face, someone who you have spoken to on your visits to your Mum, part of your Mum's life in a way. Mum's room mate will not be forgotten, because you will remember her. Lx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Sorry to hear this Joanne.

However, it is 'fortunate' that your Mum is unaware but a bit sad for the next resident who will probably not be recognised.

(Something about this is I am beginning to realise I am but a minute speck within this vast Universe :eek).

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Mum is fine - she really has no idea what has happened, as far as I can tell. Jan, you're right - I don't think Mum will respond much, if at all, to a new roommate. She doesn't notice her tablemates at all anymore.

geum123

May 20, 2009
That is sad news Joanne. I am sorry.
My dads room mate died last year.
We had got to know him and his family and cried for him.

He was a countryman, and I had always imagined that but for this awful illness
my dad and he would no doubt have had lots of things in common.
Probably have enjoyed a fishing chat and a pint.
In reality they had shared a room (a space and time) without even knowing it.
Terribly sad, but kinder that your Mum is probably unaware of this.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I guess in a way, you've lost a friend, someone who was always around when you were, and someone who would sense if you were down or smile when Mum had a good day. I hope it was an easy death and I wish them a peaceful journey to their destination. Night..Maureen.x.