mum's care home & guilty of having a life

ritchie

May 13, 2013
Hi nerak
Can't believe the doctor & more so that u have to pay, how ridiculous, have u not got any family or close friends that can help you?

skaface

Jul 18, 2011
Ramsgate
Hi there

I am also feeling dreadfully guilty - my mother hasn't been diagnosed and refused to go to the doctor until I insisted she have her over-65 checkup. She had that yesterday and I expressed my concerns to the doctor about her forgetfulness and depression. She is in complete denial and protested volubly when Dr suggested a memory test. She couldn't even tell the doctor what year or month it is. She knew how many children she has and what gender, her birth date and where she was but that was it! She couldn't tell you who the Prime Minister is or what happened on Tuesday.

The Dr has referred her and she's waiting for an appointment. When I dropped her off at home I said to her "let me know when your referral comes through" and she replied "I WILL because you told all those LIES about me". If she passes the memory test with flying colours I will be more than happy to apologise - but she won't pass.

I haven't spoken to her since - I think I need to let her calm down a bit first. Eventually she will forget and everything will be back to normal until I take her up the hospital. Then it will all start over again.

I know what I am doing is for the best - the doctor could see how stressed I was during the meeting with her but it doesn't make me feel any less guilty!

The one good thing that came out of the whole thing is that she signed the consent form so I can now discuss her with her doctor.

I just have to let her sister know what's happened so she's forearmed when she rings mum on Sunday - which mum will forget as soon as she's hung up the phone.

ritchie

May 13, 2013
Hi skaface
God I know how difficult this is for you, my mum was in denial for over a year, I kept gently broaching the subject but she always said she was fine & for a while I believed her & thought she was grieving for my father who passed away last year but realised it wasn't just that, but something else, this is a dreadful illness & there's always someone on here to lend an ear & we all understand what each of us are going thru, take care & let us know ur ok X