Mums anxiety is taking its toll

Ktynan

May 22, 2014
Hello!
My mum has frontotemporal dementia and is in her early 60s and lives at home. Her anxiety levels are really high and my siblings and myself are really finding it difficult to deal with. I am currently working away from home so am here for a few days at a time and all my other siblings work shift work. This makes it impossible for us to be here at a regular time everyday. Mum will be calling everyone repeatedly over and over even if people have been working nights and constantly wailing and crying etc. about different things she is anxious about (what time people will be coming etc). She has care but when they are not here she is constantly upset.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or had experienced anything similar? We all try to be patient and understanding but one you've fixed one issue there's something new, and with jobs and families sometimes it gets on top of us.

Thanks for any advice, it feels better just writing it somewhere

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
I am sorry that things are very difficult for you. It seems to me that her levels of anxiety and fear are probably too great to be left alone for such a long time. She may be happier with more people round her and so either carers in or a CH environment just may be kinder to her in the long run. I'm sure someone will have a better explanation. However dementia I think is very frightening for the sufferer. Does she take any medication for it. Has her levels of anxiety been mentioned to dr. Could he/she prescribe something to help maybe. I would ask the admiral nurse helpline for advice and their take on your situation prior to anything else. They are very kind and calm when talking to you. Indeed there may be an admiral nurse available in your area-depends where you live. I hope they will be able to explain what's going on to you-they are qualified. Your mum is so young still to be afflicted by this nasty illness-I wish you all well. Certainly when I go out for just 20 minutes I get called because something my have happened to me or an accident etc etc so it's not uncommon but wearing. If I forget to take phone with me I will have 12or14 messages and have only popped to get a minimal of food shopping .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare