Mum wont let GP examine lump in groin

stevie green

Mar 19, 2024
Mum is in a care home but I sometimes give her a shower if I can. Whilst washing in her groin area I found a lump. I asked carers if they knew and they didn't as they usually ask her to wash private areas herself. The GP then tried to examine her but she wouldn't allow a full examination. GP rang me to suggest I try to take Mum for a scan at hospital. I said I would try though she is becoming less compliant as the disease progresses. If Mum doesn't allow the scan to happen what options do we have. We can't force her to comply right? Struggling to gauge what the rules/guidance is around this. Also worried as Mum losing weight quite quickly so feels like something is wrong. Any advice?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hello @stevie green if your mum wont allow anyone to examine her, i dont think there is anything you can do. was it a lady doctor? if not could your mum be more comfortable.
my husband was anaemic which is not so common in men. i thought he maybe internally or have cancer. he refused cameras either end and a poo test. they did a scan with dye. that was all he would allow. he was going to refuse treatment anyway so really wasnt any point doing invasive tests.
what would you want to do with the results? would your mum want treatment? all that needs considering as to what you do next.

stevie green

Mar 19, 2024
Thanks for sharing your story. In truth Mum would likely refuse any invasive treatment. As she has lost capacity though I feel like the decision falls to me and medical staff? I wouldn't wish my Mum any prolonged suffering as Alzheimer’s progresses.