Changing GP in nursing home

magd1272

Apr 24, 2024
Hi all,

Mum is in an EMI nursing home with unspecified dementia / delirium / challenging behaviour (the consultants can’t agree). In her previous nursing home, the GP was amazing. Mum has now moved to a different home, which is covered by the same practice but has a different nominated GP. Unfortunately I have had a serious falling out with her over the approach to Mum’s care.

I have LPA H&W for Mum. If Mum were living in her own home, I would simply switch her to a more understanding and empathetic GP. But of course, this GP attends to all 40 residents in the care home via a weekly ward round.

We are meeting soon in the presence of the home management to try to find a resolution. But if that fails, what are my rights? Is it possible to request a different GP for Mum?

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Not sure on this @magd1272 but when mum went into the nursing home they did say she could keep her own GP if we wanted, but it was the GP practice said no as she was now out of their boundary area - same city just another part of it. I must admit that we have found the system works well but having said that if you have a problem with the nominated GP it might be worth asking the home's policy on changing doctors.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
You should still be allowed a second opinion. I’m sure there are polite ways of requesting that from the practice.

magd1272

Apr 24, 2024
Thanks both. We’ve gone from the nominated GP at the previous home who took time to understand the context and wanted to involve me in Mum’s care, to the nominated GP at the current home who takes the view of “I’m the doctor and know what’s best for her; butt out.” Including trying to overrule Mum’s hospital-requested blood test, saying it wasn’t necessary, when in fact it showed up an iron deficiency. And telling me that people in nursing homes are end of life (Mum was actually admitted for her behavioural issues) so we shouldn’t too proactive, when that’s expressly not what Mum said she wanted when she signed the LPA. We’re having a meeting to thrash things out, so hopefully I can get the GP onside. But the whole thing has really stressed and upset me.