Mum weak today

jayne-b

Sep 7, 2009
Staffs
Pied, a lovely visit, so good when they thoroughly tuck in with enjoyment.

Loved your Mum's comment on the turnover, random, but it meant something to her, if only we knew I think we'd be amazed at the thought process behind some of these comments:)

Hope your Mum enjoys Children In Need.

jxx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I said look mum, she looked at the cake for ages, then asked, "is that the Coventry blitz?". I said, "no mum, it's an apple turnover. " Don't we have some weird conversations?
x

I've been thinking quite a lot about this comment of your mum's, Pied. My mum used to get her words and phrases mixed up too.

Sometimes I could unscramble them, sometimes I couldn't. When I couldn't I just pretended I knew what she meant and I'd try and add some vaguely sensible comments of my own. At one stage we could maintain a conversation of strange phrases and attempted half-answers for quite a long time. I think she just liked the sense of being chatted to.

Sometimes the phrases were things she mis-heard me saying and sometimes she would grasp at phrases, plucked out of the air, seemingly because they were the closest she could get to expressing what she meant.

However, on the question of Coventry, and its blitz and your mum, there has been a book published this month written by Mavis Nicholson 'What Did You Do in the War, Mummy?' in which she interviews 31 women who lived through WW2. One interviewee was bombed out of Coventry during the war and her particular story is featured in this week's Lady.

I'm wondering if this book, or the Coventry lady's story also got coverage on the radio, possibly Womans Hour, and whether your mum might have heard about it over the airwaves and been thinking about it.

x

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Mum does look at The Lady, as she has a friend who sends it her from Coventry - I think possibly this lady had phoned her and they had been chatting - it has been the 70th anniversary of the Blitz this week. I haven't found a copy in her room though.

I'm sorry you're missing your son, ((Kassy)) x

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Hi

She did ask if Princess Diana died on her wedding day but I thought that was amazingly on the ball compared with how she has been. I had bought her a commemorative magazine about Kate and Wills and she was really thrilled with it. (She's a total Royalist - she remembers the King coming to Coventry the day after the Blitz.)

Then she said, "Why am I so thin?":confused: a lot and then, "I'm not normal, you know. I don't walk like normal people. Why don't I walk? I should walk. What's wrong with me?" :(

xx

Oh Pied, this thread brought back memories for me about the conversations I had with my dear Mum. In fact I dug out the diary we kept and this was one conversation just on one day...

Mum: "What do I have to do?"
Me: "Just relax, have a lie-in and then get breakfast when you're ready"
Mum "I thought I had do something with pink" (an obsession with buying a pink cardigan for the chiropodist's baby daughter)
Mum "I suppose it's good for me to be here at Christmas?" (How on earth do you answer that one!!)
Me: : " Of course, it's going to be great and you;re doing fine :)"

and in the vein of your Mum, Pied, she then asked

"Is the Queen Mother dead?"

I remember that question knocking me for six!!

Thinking of you Pied and your Mum xxx

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
Pied, I'm glad to hear you had a better time with your Mum.

I'm pinching your magazine idea and getting a couple for my M for christmas. She says she's going to have a front seat at the Royal Wedding!!

Take care
Meercat

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Pied, so pleased to see that your mum was much brighter to-day - and scoffed all of the rice pudding. I'll bet that just the knowledge of that sitting in her tummy made YOU feel so much better, too.

In Brian's hospital room the radio used to be switched on by one of the nurses and would be on when I arrived to visit. For several days running up to Rememberance Day Brian was relating "experiences" he had had during the war, helping people out of the rubble, some of them in Coventry. (He was 9 when the war started and lived here in Dorset throughout.) I asked them not to put the radio on in the end because it confused him. He worried about me being blown up on my way to and from hospital.

I think it's lovely that your mum can still enjoy a magazine and that the "special" on the royal engagement went down so well. My Brian seems to have given up reading altogether - although he can still pick out what he would like to eat from the hospital lunch and supper menus!

Hope your dear mum continues to be as bright as she was to-day.

Love, Nan XXX

TiredofHants

Oct 15, 2008
Hampshire
Who ? Where?

So sorry to hear about your mum, I hope she will improve a little tomorrow.
Just wanted to share a smile - I went to see my FIL at the hospital today and was trying to tell him about the NH that we have found for him. He listened without wandering (unusual) and at the end asked me when I was moving in!! He even offerred to come for a little holiday to help me move in if it wasn't too far from the tyne tunnel because he doesn't drive much further than that these days! (FIL has lived in hampshire with us for the last 7 years and hasn't driven for the last 6 years) So after repeating the tale again he said it all sounded wonderful and has was sure I would like living there! Maybe I will !!:D

Libby

May 20, 2006
North East
Hi Pied

Sorry to be so late in catching up, but glad to hear that your mum has picked up again.

I could have shared our good news in that Mum had her neck brace off on Monday:):D:) My brother went in on the night, and he said that she was just so chatty - not only with him - but with the other residents, so we were all really pleased. She wasn't as chatty on the Tuesday when we went in, and even less chatty yesterday, but at least she's starting to eat a bit more and has put 2 kilos back on.

We all seem to be on never-ending roller coasters:eek:, there just seem to be a lot of dips recently, only the odd high point, and long long dark tunnels, and no-one knows how they'll feel at the end!

Hope you're doing OK Pied

Liz

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hi all and thanks for sharing your positives and good news - I hope your mum continues to stay perky and chatty, Libby. Tired, your dad's story about the Tyne tunnel made me smile, it reminds me of Mum so much. Like your dad she moved to be near me and is totally confused about where she is. At the moment she says,"I've only just got here!" every time I visit, so I have taken to saying, "Oh, well, that was good timing then, wasn't it?"

She was a little brighter yesterday, I took her some home made bread and butter pudding for after her tea, with local double cream on top, but whether she will have remembered to eat it (put a big label on it saying "EAT THIS AFTER TEA!") is another thing - I had to dash off yesterday as we went to see a show at the Lowry. That was good - took my mind off things.

Have a great Sunday everyone! :)