Mum speaking weird

Suzysheep01

Jan 14, 2023
Over the last few days I’ve noticed that my mum has started speaking very oddly. It’s like she’s talking through her nose. The carer thought she had a cold at first, an even got a nurse to check her over. There’s absolutely nothing physically wrong, so why could she be talking like that?
she has had other ticks/ odd behaviours in the last few years and since diagnosis. She had a few little sentences she would repeat, and she had about a year of constant quick succession sniffs. Is it common with vascular dementia to change their voice?
bless her…. I can’t help but laugh, and she laughs along too… and has no idea why she’s doing it, or even that she’s doing it at all.

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
I'm sorry I don't have any experience of that but does she have any problems swallowing? Perhaps a referral to the SALT team? If it's not distressing her (or you!) then put it down to just one of those odd things they sometimes do.

ChaceSoto

Apr 2, 2024
Changes in speech may be associated with various factors, including vascular dementia. I think this is due to the progression of the disease or its effect on brain functions, including muscle control of speech. It is important to discuss this with your doctor for further evaluation and treatment. In addition, support and care for your mother is very important during this difficult period.

Suzysheep01

Jan 14, 2023
Changes in speech may be associated with various factors, including vascular dementia. I think this is due to the progression of the disease or its effect on brain functions, including muscle control of speech. It is important to discuss this with your doctor for further evaluation and treatment. In addition, support and care for your mother is very important during this difficult period.
Do you think it’s progression? I will ask for the dr to see her.
thanks for the advice.

Suzysheep01

Jan 14, 2023
Just an update.
the dr thinks the change in voice is down to her thyroid and they have adjusted her thyroid medication. She is just really sleepy. Sleeping all day and night. Blood sugars are stable ( for her) and obs are always good.