Mum just diagnosed with mixed dementia.

LesleyS

Feb 21, 2024
Mum just diagnosed with vascular dementia/alzheimers. I am not surprised but still very sad. Mum and dad both 86 and live near me. My increasing commitment to them both is causing enormous resentment and arguments between my husband and I. Is this normal????

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
A warm welcome to Dementia Support Forum @LesleyS.
I think you probably need to decide how much support you are going to give your parents. As things progress they will need more and more and the last thing you want to happen is to end up with a marriage that breaks under the strain of caring. I don't know if you'll find this fact sheet useful as a starting point.
This is a very friendly and supportive site, and I'm sure others will be along shortly with their tips and suggestions.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Mum just diagnosed with vascular dementia/alzheimers. I am not surprised but still very sad. Mum and dad both 86 and live near me. My increasing commitment to them both is causing enormous resentment and arguments between my husband and I. Is this normal????

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Matbe be some people have issues dealing with the elderly, both mentally the phhysically impaired.
Had my wife been in a wheelchair I'd been given some "Preferential treatment" but with AZ is an invisible condition to the outside world, in a way that any sort of a physical assitance isn't.necessarility available.
k

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
A welcome from me too @LesleyS to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a lot of shared experience of dementia to be found here and members really do want to help.

I am sorry to read about your Mum's recent diagnosis. It's tough for sure, even if you were half expecting it. You will know , I'm sure that this is a progressive disease, so now is the best your Mum will be. You have your own family/husband and you do not want your Mum's condition to cause any sort of family breakdown. After all, your Mum wouldn't want that would she.
Maybe its time to get Social Services involved to do a care needs assessment. I think you need extra support. This link may help: