Mum-in-Law diagnosed 3 years ago could do with a chat online not needed to before now ...

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Hi All I registered on here a few years ago but not really needed it. Now we are 3 years down the line since diagnosis....
To fill you in Mum-in-Law has lived with my husband and I in an annex for 6 years. She is 89 and we have noticed a marked change in the last few months. My husband does not work so can be there for her, but I work full time. But, I can see that as she is started to get worse he is starting to worry and get down about it to the point he is trying to avoid helping her. I understand this its easier for me to take a stand back and be practical. I just worry that he wont cope yet I cannot adjust my hours anymore to help. To top that the brother in law who lives in the UK, we live outside the UK, who has seen his mother 7 times in 20 years, is being a completely bleep and making it harder for us (money need I say more!) - under our laws we needed his permission to get guardianship but he refused and now has solicitors involved. Anyway just felt that I might need a bit of support going forward, I cant get to the carers for Alzheimers day centre where we live as they do most support in the week whilst I am working and I know that my husband is not someone who would feel comfortable taking her to. Not an excuse for him just fact. As mentioned we do not have a huge support network with our local social services (not NHS) until such time as she can no longer feed herself etc so I just want to connect with some of you so I can chat and discuss what has helped you in the past that I could use. Thanks all

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
If it's any help to you, I believe the experts on the Help Line are very good so they may be worth a call. The details are

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
As Pete says, the helpline are great for professional advice. You will also get plenty of support from the rest of us who are still learning the hard way, so please keep posting, chatting and asking questions.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You say that you are not in the UK. Are you able to say which country you are in? We have members from all over the world and someone else who is in the same country as you might be able to say what resources are available.