Mum in Hospital for Hip replacement. What happens next?

Debbie Ann C

Apr 1, 2020
Hi everyone
so Mum managed to have a fall in her care home and ended up in A&E with a broken hip (this was on Wednesday 27th Sept) She is at Leicester Royal.
She had the hip op on Friday morning and is now on the ward. She hasn’t passed urine independently since she was admitted on Wednesday so has a catheter which she keep pulling out! She doesn’t seem to be in pain but very agitated. she has very limited language so not able to,communicate what she needs.
Not much else seems to have happened. We are hoping the the Dr will assess her today and hopefully physio will start but to be honest we are guessing as the staff don’t seem to know what will happen when.
Our main concern is what happens when they discharge her. The care home have said it will depend on her recovery as to whether they can have her back.
Do we need to start looking into nursing homes?
Mum is 85 and quite advanced in her dementia although, before the fall, was very mobile and able to dress and feed herself.
Any advise welcome.
many many thanks xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Debbie Ann C

When someone with dementia breaks a hip the shock of the fall, the pain and the anaesthetic with surgery can really take its toll. Some people get back to pretty much the level they were at before, but it takes a while and not all of them do. Sometimes everything can really progress the dementia.

The hospital SWs will be involved before she is discharged and she may go back to her care home, or she may go to a rehab unit, or a rehab bed within a nursing home. Where she goes from there will depend on her progress. When mum broke her hip it did progress her dementia quite a lot, but her care home accepted her back.

I think you can only wait and see what happens.
xx

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You can only wait & see what hapens, primarily when they start to mobilise her again
the problem with hip replacements is the physio- normally one would be given the do's and dont's and s eries of exercises, which often PWD will forget!

The homes will prob reassesss her and see of they can meet her needs,if she can no longer alk, they may no be set up for that, of have the staff to manage someone who forgets she has had a fall and puts herself at risk by tryingto walk when she shouldnt.

Things will change day by day- bear with them, its early days

Muttimuggle

Dec 28, 2021
Hi everyone
so Mum managed to have a fall in her care home and ended up in A&E with a broken hip (this was on Wednesday 27th Sept) She is at Leicester Royal.
She had the hip op on Friday morning and is now on the ward. She hasn’t passed urine independently since she was admitted on Wednesday so has a catheter which she keep pulling out! She doesn’t seem to be in pain but very agitated. she has very limited language so not able to,communicate what she needs.
Not much else seems to have happened. We are hoping the the Dr will assess her today and hopefully physio will start but to be honest we are guessing as the staff don’t seem to know what will happen when.
Our main concern is what happens when they discharge her. The care home have said it will depend on her recovery as to whether they can have her back.
Do we need to start looking into nursing homes?
Mum is 85 and quite advanced in her dementia although, before the fall, was very mobile and able to dress and feed herself.
Any advise welcome.
many many thanks xx
I suppose it might depend upon the circumstances which led to the fall.My mother fell and broke her hip within her house, was then admitted to a re-enablement centre which was council funded - for 6 weeks during which time the aim was to try to get her more mobile- which they did to a very minimal extent. After this she agreed to go permanently into care and she actually went into a Residential Care Home.They came to assess her. They knew about her dementia diagnosis and they also knew that she was, then, largely wheelchair bound.They managed that just fine, wheeling her everywhere in the home.She had an ensuite toilet and sink but a commode was put nearer to her bed and a light with a beam under a chair to detect movement should she try to get up. The interesting thing was that about 5 months down the line, aged 91, they did manage to get her out of that wheelchair and now she uses a rollator. She is very wobbly and uses every door handle and chair back to get around without the rollator within her room. She is, of course, a risk but her quality of life is important and there are others in there who are similar.I suppose you need that conversation with the care home manager.

Debbie Ann C

Apr 1, 2020
Sound like you have a very good care home there who had done their upmost to get her mobile. Many thanks for sharing your experience.

upsanddownsdays

Jun 14, 2023
Hello , just reading your post as I'm in the same situation as yourself .
My mum is on Leicester royal having broken her hip yesterday in her carehome .
I just wondered how you tackled leaving her in the hospital . We sat with her until the early hours of the morning, but had to come away as we couldn't sit all night waiting to go to the ward with her . She had had all her x-rays and tests . Did you manage to leave your mum alone in the hospital ? Felt heart broken leaving her but exhausted too and there is only my husband and I who can visit .
Also did you have to find a nursing home for her ?
Thank you for any help .xx

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
If you are self funding you can find an appropriate nursing home that will accept her and then move as soon as she is medically fit for discharge!!

upsanddownsdays

Jun 14, 2023
How does that work with her existing carehome though as surely you have to keep paying the fees to keep the room for when she's ready ? She is self funding . So do you pay twice or go to a NHS nursing home ? I don't know the system , thank you for any advice . Xx

phill

Aug 8, 2007
Check your contract with the existing care home, as it probably includes provisions about what happens about charges if the resident is absent temporarily. If the contract is silent on that point, you should at least be able to negotiate a reduced rate for the period of absence. After all, they aren’t incurring the expense of feeding her or laundering her bedding (among other things) while she’s not physically there.

upsanddownsdays

Jun 14, 2023
That's a good point , il ring them on Monday and speak to the manager. It must be a common question to ask as these falls and hospital stays must happen regularly for them . Like you say it's seems unfair to charge full price as it's just to keep the room xx

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinaRose