Mum Hit a carer... Again

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Calm before the storm.... At least I got to eat something before it all kicked off.

Mum on MAJOR sundowning.

3 phone calls from her, within 1 hour each one getting more bizarre.

Then phone call from sister to say mum has rung and want to go home as there is no bed for her tonight and she has been told to leave. Wants me to pick her up not sister....

Rang care home to "warn" THE carer.

"Leave it with me 2jays, don't worry, I will duck tonight so hopefully she will miss hitting me"

Checking for UTI and constipation - again

Maybe Top Floor is the right place....

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Really sorry to hear this 2Jays. That carer has a good sense of humour. She seems to be taking things in her stride. Try not to let it overwhelm you, 2Jays. You can't do more than you have today. x

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Oh 2Jays.
What a worry. It's good that you spoke to everyone and it's lovely that THE carer is aware of what's going on.

Poor Mum, it probs is some uti or other stuff and the sundowning phenomena.

Doesn't help you though when it peaceof heart and mind you need. Much loveXXX

How is 1jays cough? tell him I say hello x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Just caught up with your news 2Jays. It sounds like the best possible outcome that the home are taking responsibility to try to understand your mother and meet her dementia needs which are not 24/7.

Unfortunately, your mum isn't yet receiving the benefit of either medication or better understanding. It will take some time.

I can imagine the state of your nerves and I can only hope that you somehow find some peace and rest tonight to help with strength for whatever tomorrow has in store for you.

Love abnd a (HUG)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I wish I had your turn of phrase Gwen to say how 1jays cough is....

Suffice to say he sounds like a dirty old man without a spittoon....I know there isn't a spittoon..... There is no "ping" after he has finished his blue in the face coughing fit.

Not a well man. He would insist on going to work today.... He has given himself the rest of the week off.

Grapes have been well and truely trod.

Thank you Deborah. I am trying and almost succeeding in not letting things overwhelm me. But it's that incy wincy issue that is so hard ...... "Letting go" and trusting others can cope.

Here we go again...... Sensible brain can let go....... Emotional brain can't....

Good job I have counsellor day on Saturday.....

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Just caught up with your news 2Jays. It sounds like the best possible outcome that the home are taking responsibility to try to understand your mother and meet her dementia needs which are not 24/7.

Unfortunately, your mum isn't yet receiving the benefit of either medication or better understanding. It will take some time.

I can imagine the state of your nerves and I can only hope that you somehow find some peace and rest tonight to help with strength for whatever tomorrow has in store for you.

Love abnd a (HUG)

Thank you.

Hopefully no nightmares tonight for me..... They seem to have a habit of coming true :D :D :D

It always uplifts me when I "share" on here. So many wise, wonderful, accepting, giving people here to support and understand.

My angels.

By the way.... Son and girl friend have decided to call the baby, if its a boy, Gabriel and a girl Lily

Now..... Gabriel is a nice name..... So is Lily..... But really?????? Do they really want to call their son Gabriel and daughter Lily???

apologies to anyone who has called their son Gabriel, or daughter Lily, but if you knew our surname you too would ask..... Really????

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Is it - no it can't be - can it - is it possibly Archangel?

Yup the immaculate conception :D

Would you get upset when you told me the name for the boy was Gabriel and I asked "was it, or can't you remember"?

Sometimes I really don't know when to keep my mouth shut do I :D :D

No my surname isn't archangel.... :D :D :D or Hehsous.... spelt Jesus

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
OMG 2jays - you didn't -did you?:eek:

Sigh...... Yup..... I did

Funny.... It didn't go down very well ..... what with her being a catholic and he a philosophy of religion student..... I'm sure you too would think they could see the funny side of what I said. I was trying to be enthusiastic about the pregnancy ....... Very trying obviously.

Mum has rung me to tell me that everything is sorted. She is staying at the care home.

She has decided to buy the care home.

Can I come tomorrow to help her make some changes to the decorations there .....

All is well

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
She has decided to buy the care home.

Now that could make life even more interesting!!

Sorry to hear you're having a challenging time, it does sound like the care home are trying to understand her which has to be positive.

I like Lily!:)

x

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
My goodness what a time you're having 2Jays. Thinking of you. x

You and me tonight izzy. It's a picnic isn't it :rolleyes:

I like Lily too.... It's a lovely name. Lots of L's .... So has our surname.

Gabriel..... Goes with the surname..... Just so long as you don't say it out loud

Their choice.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I like Lily
I do too.A pretty name.
Doesn't it mean 'pure'?!
A bit of reverse psychology going on there I think 2jays!
Purity and angels.
Yes, I can see why you commented!

I am so pleased that your mother is buying the Care home.
What a good use of the money she has from selling her house.
She will be able to arrange things just as she want them and sack the carers she doesn't like.
I can see her reasoning.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I am really pleased your mum is buying the care home! She can have it just like she wants it :D

Can she afford all the phone calls she makes to you now she has to pay those bills???:D

Gemz67

May 28, 2013
Salford
When I worked in a CH (with EMI provision), we had a lady who came to us that took an instant dislike to me. She was perfectly calm, unless she spotted me and then she would have a meltdown.

Perversely, she would only attend her weekly hospital appointments if it was me accompanying her! She was all sweetness and light on those occasions and after her appointment, I would take her in the cafeteria and have tea and cake with her.

The minute we got back, should I walk by her chair, she would try to break my ankle with her stick, flinging it out at me "I pay council tax for that carpet, stop wearing it out!"

We never got to the bottom of it, her SW surmised that I may resemble her daughter who had already passed away, but that was pure guesswork.

I just didn't deal with her needs in the home, unless absolutely necessary which it rarely was with at least four other carers on duty at the same time, only taking her to the hospital and taking the longer route through the lounge to avoid wearing out her carpet and allowing her to stay calm :D

Gem x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ellepalmer1