Mum has Dementia and become an insomniac

Miah

Jan 11, 2024
Mum Moymun 80 was finally diagnosed after covid with vascular dementia and alzheimers.

It's been a rollercoaster of a journey and as a career its been difficult for mum and me.

The lack of sleep has driven me to the point of breaking and made mums life more difficult.

Docs prescribed a range of med including respiridol (lowest dosage) that didn't work they also prescribed mirtazapine also didn't work.

Please someone share if you have had this challenge and how you overcame it?

ShivyDevon

Oct 11, 2022
Unfortunately it's a very common behaviour for those with dementia. My dad has vascular dementia and is up a lot in the night wondering the house. GP will not prescribe any medication as it could incease risk of falls.

My mum now tries to rest through it as he doesn't readily come back to bed. It exhausts her as she never truly relaxes. I am bot familiar with a way to overcome it unless they are placed in 24hr care....

Tomsamsmum

Apr 17, 2022
Mum Moymun 80 was finally diagnosed after covid with vascular dementia and alzheimers.

It's been a rollercoaster of a journey and as a career its been difficult for mum and me.

The lack of sleep has driven me to the point of breaking and made mums life more difficult.

Docs prescribed a range of med including respiridol (lowest dosage) that didn't work they also prescribed mirtazapine also didn't work.

Please someone share if you have had this challenge and how you overcame it?
Hi so sharing your distress, my mum too is now waking so much during the night, she is bed bound so different meds have been prescribed but the dementia just over rules them , we have had to move her bed from an adjoining neighbour as she’s shouts out and banging on the wall , I have been and explained to the neighbour the situation he up to now has been very understanding as had had a mother diagnosed with dementia but I feel so anxious and exhausted, so sorry you are going through this x