Mum has become placid and easygoing - complete personality change

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mum (89 with VD for at least 5 years) has always been difficult, argumentative, and awkward up until recently. She would refuse all help and was fiercely independent.
But over the last month or so she has become so placid and easygoing. She even lets me strip wash her without a murmer or a fight. She has lost interest in everything and just sits watching TV apart from when she goes to her lunch club. They have commented on how quiet and easygoing she is now. She seems pleased to see family members which never happened before but does not know who we are. Family pop in daily to make her meals/drinks and do personal care etc.
Has anyone else had this extreme personality change?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think it is due to a downturn.

My husband was paranoid, aggressive and argumentative as long as he had insight into his dementia. He was frightened and his behaviour was his only form of defence.

Once he lost insight he was a pleasure to be with.

A bittersweet change, but better for him as well as for me.

Kitten71

Jul 22, 2013
East Yorkshire
That's really interesting, thank you for posting that. My dad gets quite aggressive and I assumed it would be like that forever more but possibly it won't be. We seem to be moving from mid to end stage at the moment and I honestly feel like I don't know if I'm coming or going with it all! Maybe things will get easier with the decline. Bittersweet is the perfect word to use :(

sford91

Nov 4, 2015
my mum has always been the kindest most caring person you can ever meet and has recently been diagnosed with frontal lobe dementia, she has become alot more tearful and very blunt with people, finds it difficult in social situations doesn't know what to say at times. Luckily no aggression or agitation at present

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5