1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Mum has Alzheimer's, is also deaf and cannot hear the television

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by duchess1925, Jan 25, 2016.

1. duchess1925

duchess1925 Registered User

Jan 25, 2016
    Hi
    Mum has Alzheimer's and is also very deaf. She has a hearing aid but doesn't wear it now. Can anyone suggest what the best thing I can buy for her would be so that she can hear the TV without it being on full blast? It would need to be something that is simple to use.
    Thank you for your help.

2. Quilty

Quilty Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    GLASGOW
    Action on hearing have a website. That might be worth a look. They do headphones but im not sure how complicated they are. Im sure they can advise.

3. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    Are the subtitles no use to her?

4. Angela57

Angela57 Registered User

Jan 22, 2016
    My mum does wear her earring aids and has a loop that connects to the TV that sends the sound to them. I realise in your mums case that would not work.

What about high volume headphones? Possibly expensive. Just a thought.

Take care

5. duchess1925

duchess1925 Registered User

Jan 25, 2016
    Hi
    Thank you so much for your help to my first posting on this website. I will probably buy her the headphones from the website you mentioned.

6. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    Subtitles on the TV is one of the easiest and most usable options because once set they are on and your mum doesn't need to worry about it.

I would try to reinstate the hearing aid routine though or she is going to miss so much - I realise that is difficult but sometimes works with persistance

7. mrjelly

mrjelly Registered User

Jul 23, 2012
    West Sussex
    If your sitting room layout was suitable you might be able to set up an amplifier and loadspeakers on the wall behind your Mum's chair with audio cables from the TV. As the speakers could be closer to her and probably better quality, they would not need to be set to such a high volume. The main advantage is that once the unit is switched on, your Mum would not have to change her behaviour in any other way.

Basic amplifier units like the one below have simple controls and don't cost very much. You might want a bit of help with the cabling and setting up, so having a hi-fi buff in the family would be useful.

Gemtune SMSL SA-36A (PRO) Class T Amp Stereo Amplifier + Power Adapter- Black(With British Standard Plug)