Mum has Alzheimer's, is also deaf and cannot hear the television

duchess1925

Jan 25, 2016
Hi
Mum has Alzheimer's and is also very deaf. She has a hearing aid but doesn't wear it now. Can anyone suggest what the best thing I can buy for her would be so that she can hear the TV without it being on full blast? It would need to be something that is simple to use.
Thank you for your help.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Action on hearing have a website. That might be worth a look. They do headphones but im not sure how complicated they are. Im sure they can advise.

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
My mum does wear her earring aids and has a loop that connects to the TV that sends the sound to them. I realise in your mums case that would not work.

What about high volume headphones? Possibly expensive. Just a thought.

Take care

duchess1925

Jan 25, 2016
Hi
Thank you so much for your help to my first posting on this website. I will probably buy her the headphones from the website you mentioned.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Subtitles on the TV is one of the easiest and most usable options because once set they are on and your mum doesn't need to worry about it.

I would try to reinstate the hearing aid routine though or she is going to miss so much - I realise that is difficult but sometimes works with persistance

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
If your sitting room layout was suitable you might be able to set up an amplifier and loadspeakers on the wall behind your Mum's chair with audio cables from the TV. As the speakers could be closer to her and probably better quality, they would not need to be set to such a high volume. The main advantage is that once the unit is switched on, your Mum would not have to change her behaviour in any other way.

Basic amplifier units like the one below have simple controls and don't cost very much. You might want a bit of help with the cabling and setting up, so having a hi-fi buff in the family would be useful.

Gemtune SMSL SA-36A (PRO) Class T Amp Stereo Amplifier + Power Adapter- Black(With British Standard Plug)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513