Mum fell again, end of the road?

jen54

May 20, 2014
S
It seems you are also having a job with these medically fit discharges when it’s clear the patients are anything but. I’m waiting for the hospital social worker to ring me as well.

We are going round in circles with the SALT team at the moment as that is twice my mum has said she isn’t in pain swallowing & yet she has told us she is in pain swallowing every time we have visited! I did say Look she has dementia & you may need to keep reassessing and/or trying to find out why she can’t swallow or has no appetite & why she is in pain & can’t eat & is losing weight!
Sorry to read your thread about your mum.
I find it frightening how they can honestly think some can return home
Today I visited the carehome the sw at the hospital re commended,it feels more like a place mum would fit in.
Accepted a room,but awaiting an assessment from them,which wont be till Monday...
Poor mum, she was awake today, I went layer to see her at dinner, and she did eat a half sandwich..delivered in a paper bag
No plate, I had to get someone to help lift mum up so she could eat..
She is still in quite some pain in her hip, stabbing she called it, and when sw came in she said mum could hardly stand earlier
Mum speaking nonsense bless,so that's it, mum wont be discharged ..due to going into care,and awaiting assessment, ....but I just think we could have got the ball rolling quicker,but no one to speak to, and no sw till mum had been in for a few days.
No chc help, and not sure how they say medically fit for discharge when get bottom is still raw, her hip is so painful and she can hardly stand.i wasn't even told how it went with the physio today, or if indeed she had a second xray..

Last edited:

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
S
Sorry to read your thread about your mum.
I find it frightening how they can honestly think some can return home
Today I visited the carehome the sw at the hospital re commended,it feels more like a place mum would fit in.
Accepted a room,but awaiting an assessment from them,which wont be till Monday...
Poor mum, she was awake today, I went layer to see her at dinner, and she did eat a half sandwich..delivered in a paper bag
No plate, I had to get someone to help lift mum up so she could eat..
She is still in quite some pain in her hip, stabbing she called it, and when sw came in she said mum could hardly stand earlier
Mum speaking nonsense bless,so that's it, mum wont be discharged ..due to going into care,and awaiting assessment, ....but I just think we could have got the ball rolling quicker,but no one to speak to, and no sw till mum had been in for a few days.
No chc help, and not sure how they say medically fit for discharge when get bottom is still raw, her hip is so painful and she can hardly stand.i wasn't even told how it went with the physio today, or if indeed she had a second xray..

It is mind blowingly difficult to find out information isn’t it. I’m so sorry you are also finding it difficult.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Yeah SW came and saw Mum in hospital today, what did she say? I have no idea she spoke to my Mum who has dementia and left her phone number - genius....

Doc said yes Mum needs to drink to be hydrated - we rely on family to do it...

Nurse bought in antibiotics and left them next to this mornings untaken ones...

I’m babysitting the medical staff to do their basic job. Grrrrrrr X

jen54

May 20, 2014
At least they had put mum on a drip till today as she wasn't drinking, and they do all meds in the morning hence no visiting,
But I don't know how dinner tines usually are, as a delivery msn left the bag on table..and no one came near, until I said I needed help lifting num unto a sitting position to eat..the cup of tea was delivered in a large mug,so hot even I couldn't touch it..mum wouldn't be able to even lift it..and she still is having trouble finding her mouth.. We tried,but gave up, then tea went cold.
And still no one approached with info,I had to tell them mum was experiencing pain in her hip..no comment from them to why that may be..
As the previous poster Said, they see mum,physio etc..but tell me nothing..and mum hasn't a clue about anything going on

Last edited:

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
At least they had put mum on a drip till today as she wasn't drinking, and they do all meds in the morning hence no visiting,
But I don't know how dinner tines usually are, as a delivery msn left the bag on table..and no one came near, until I said I needed help lifting num unto a sitting position to eat..the cup of tea was delivered in a large mug,so hot even I couldn't touch it..mum wouldn't be able to even lift it..andvshe still is having
At our local hospital they do a red tray lunch system that tells staff the patient requires help and encouragement to eat and I think as part of the system food and fluid charts are completed ...I think they also have volunteers who go in...PALS should be able to give you info as to whether that should be operating in your hospital. I know this isn't how it should be or possible for some to even do but I stayed with dad
In hospital both times he was there so I could make sure things were done to my satisfaction for dad