Mum doesn't want to eat, drink or take medication

LJC9

Aug 8, 2014
My lovely Mum, who is now 86, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia just over 5 years ago. Up until February this year my Dad cared for Mum at home, with me going in several times a week to help. Unfortunately this became too much for us when Mum became verbally aggressive, very agitated and kept trying to escape - wanting to go and see her parents, who obviously died many years ago. The stress just became too much for Dad, who has been amazing in his care of Mum, so we chose a very good Care Home for Mum to go in to. Although it was an incredibly hard decision for us to come to (we felt we were letting Mum down) she has settled well in the Home, is well cared for, and Dad goes in most days to see her. I visit 2 or 3 times a week.
However, as this horrible disease has progressed, it is now a daily struggle to encourage Mum to eat and drink. This has resulted in UTI's and collapse through dehydration. She was fitted with a catheter on her last hospital stay - but this seems to be causing more problems. Mum is now often refusing to take her medication. Firstly, does anyone have any advice on how we can increase the amount of fluids etc Mum will take?

Secondly...I feel that Mum is now in later stages Dementia and is quite weary of life. She is often not very responsive, sits with her head down a lot of the time. She doesn't know who Dad and I are, we introduce ourselves to her each visit, although there is a sense there that she knows we are people who she loves. She often momentarily forgets how to swallow, but does eventually remember. I have read elsewhere that refusing food etc can sometimes be a person's way of 'winding down' towards the end of life, preparing themselves for the end. Would people agree that this can be the case?

In all of this situation my Dad, understandably, is fighting with everything he has to keep her going. To the point that every visit is primarily made up of struggles to get her to consume food and drink - which she doesn't really want to do. He is the main person who can get her to respond and do this, but it's a 'battle'. This is also very stressful for Dad. He's 78. I am starting to feel that Dad's remaining time with her should just be about 'spending time' and not struggling. I would like to see him accept that we need to allow Mum to be/do a bit more as she wants to each day, rather than fighting so hard to keep her going. But Dad can't step back and do this...which I understand because he loves her so much, but I'm also concerned about what it's doing to him.
Sorry for waffling on - but any helpful advice/experience please? Thank you!

Ness23

Oct 18, 2017
Sorry to hear about your Mum, we have the same problem with our mother, she is 80 years old. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I will be watching your post for help to.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I am so sorry that you are all going through this :( I do understand a little of what you are going through as my mother also has advanced dementia.

I'm afraid I agree that it sounds as if your mum is starting to 'wind down'. We have a saying here on TP - 'the person is not dying because they are not eating or drinking; they are not eating or drinking because they are dying'. How you get your dad to recognise this and let go, I have no idea!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I've just got home from tea time in the home, a daily visit and I see people refusing foods all the time, the staff do all they can but it is a challenge.
I was sat at the same table as a woman who refused her food, poured her juice in the soup, threw her sandwiches at the staff and just tipped her dessert onto the table but apparently one of her children had been in earlier and brought a box of cake so no surprise there.
Another man has stopped visiting at meal times as his wife refuses to eat when he's there, when he's not there she's pretty good, most days. I don't know if the staff said anything but he was part of the problem not part of the solution, but he too fills her up with bananas, crisps and chocolate rolls then tries to get her to eat a full meal.
At the home my wife's in all meals are recorded and before the evening meal starts a list of the dinnertime refusers get special attention.
The problem is that once mealtimes become a flashpoint then it has a way of escalating and everyone gets stressed just thinking about it which doesn't help the situation.
K

Nettynoo

Oct 5, 2017
My Dad is the same as your mum, my Mum is in the same position as your Dad. I have thought the same , Mums life is spent caring for Dad. She pleads with him to drink and eat, but really he has no appetite and has said he want to die.I understand what you're going through to x

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I can very much relate to what you are describing and saw this with dad over many months it was getting harder to encourage him to eat or drink. The home were very good with food and fluid charts and took any opportunity whether mealtime or not to try, as I did on my regular visits.It was difficult in the first instance to keep him sitting long enough or encourage him back to wherever he was sitting to get him to eat, quite often he would stand or walk and the staff would try. Having witnessed it all first hand...I really felt like with toileting decline into inappropriate toileting and then incontinence...not wanting to eat was part of forgetting the what why and how. Part of the declining understanding. I also agree that the body is starting to wind down and not eating/drinking is the body starting the dying process not trying to carry on the living. It must be very hard for your dad if he understandably isn't able to take a step back as the natural inclination with all our might is to encourage, cajole constantly...if you haven't had any success in explaining ...is there a staff member who could chat with him. The not eating/drinking much phase went on for quite a while and dad took a turn for the worse as a result of another unexpected serious medical problem which brought him to end of life but I felt his this would have come about eventually through not for the want of all of us trying, lack of food and fluids. He also refused medication at times but his understanding was so poor in his mind it was probably all part of the stage of not wanting anything to eat etc. Some battles as they decline can't be won sadly. I really felt what I was seeing was that dads damaged brain wasn't telling his body he needed to eat or drink. Dad couldn't verbalise any of this of course, none of his refusal was a rational conscious choice...just something deep down within his illness making choices for him!

Last edited:

LJC9

Aug 8, 2014
Thank you all for taking the time to reply! It’s useful to hear your experiences and to know that others understand☺️
The Home are good at recording all of Mum’s food and drink intake, and they do take the time to sit with her and try to coax her. Some days she does ok, but it is usually Dad who can get her to eat and drink the most.
Reading all of your comments, I realise that I need to have a more honest conversation with Dad. I have tried to hint at where Mum is, but he won’t even accept my gentle approach. I think it’s time to be more direct with him, I just hate the thought of upsetting him even more than he already is. I’m an only child so haven’t got siblings to discuss things with - grateful for an understanding husband though!
Thank you all again!

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Thank you all for sharing your experiences at a really hard time, my heart goes out to you.
@LJC I too have to have and repeat those tough words to Dad. It’s heartbreaking seeing how much it hurts whe they have adored each other for years. I’d love to have had that in my life, but glad I can live off the love they have.
Thanks again all. X

malengwa

Jan 26, 2017
I'm in this position too. Dad spends a lot of time trying to either encourage her to eat or quizzing her about what she has eaten. But everything is too hot, too cold, too bitter, too sweet, too lumpy, the wrong colour, too much, boring.......
I am also finding this hard.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
I am now at the stage of offering food and drink to Mum but not trying to persuade or cajole if she refuses. If she wants chocolate and doesn't then eat a meal, I really don't care, as long as she remains content for the little time she has left.

squidykins

Oct 29, 2017
I feel for you. My nan is 92 with vascular dementia and for the last 4 months she has gradually found it harder to swallow shes had a cricoid web which mean't she had to have her throat dilated. The last two weeks she has stopped eating. The hospital have dilated her throat as they thought this could be the issue but still no good. She might put a bit of icecream in her mouth every now and then but she coughs and spits it out. Tested her swallowing reflex no issues found. So its more psychological than anything. You name it i've tried it shakes yogurts thickened drinks fruit drinks nothing works. Today she is even spitting water out so on a drip plus she had black diarrhoea which indicates blood but this could be due to the throat op and some post surgery bleeding. She weighed 8 stone 4 months ago then weighed on the 26/10/17 6 stone 2 three days later 29/10/17 now 5 stone 7. I wish I had a magic wand.