Mum diagnosed last week, lots of queries buzzing in my head

Tiddly

Jul 16, 2018
Mum was diagnosed last week and we have LPA in place but she still has capacity to make decisions. Her behaviour is becoming more challenging, she refuses our support to Dr appts- how can we manage this?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Tiddly, welcome to TP.

Many people get their loved one to GP appointments by using an excuse like a general check up or something routine. There is less resistance if dementia isn't mentioned.

You can get some useful general info from the AS Publications list which you can find with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

For example, this one covers changes in behaviour https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites/default/files/migrate/downloads/changes_in_behaviour.pdf

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Tiddly a warm welcome to TP from me as well.
Just a thought if you have LPA health and welfare could you make an appointment with her GP and discuss the current problems with them?

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Look up teepa snow on you tube, she has done a lot of videos on how to #manage# pwd (as well as looking after yourselves as carers). I've also posted links to a free course that's just starting with Tasmania university - it goes through a lot of info about the disease. And of course people on here are so knowledgeable and have years of experience between them.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Tiddly

I'm usually vague about where I'm taking dad for his appointments- something along the lines of "Hi dad, would you like to go out for lunch? We'll just take you to the doctors for your check up and then we can go to the pub..."

I never tell him why we're going to the GP, nurse or clinic cos he thinks there's nothing wrong with him.

I never ask him if he'd like me to take him, I just present it as a done deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch