mum cant remember what she did 1 hour ago

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by spuddle, Mar 13, 2014.

1. spuddle

spuddle Registered User

Mar 13, 2014
    hollysmum and mrpepperman, thank you for your comments. again I am amazed at the similarities I read here. I read somewhere about urinary infections and am aware that mum hardly drinks so I have been trying to encourage her to drink more water. when I visit I will have several cups of tea and she maybe drinks a small glass of water or juice.
    mrpepperman, my mum also never had any grief councilling and as she deteriorated so fast after my dads death I wonder if it would be helpful. docs appointment is on Friday so hopefully the doc will suggest something along these lines or maybe some talking therapy. my mum has always been chirpy and cheerful (and living with my dad was far from easy) but she is so down these days. she is aware that she is forgetting things and this is making her worse. I try to make light of things and tell her not to worry but I wonder if other people will be as understanding.

2. Mrpepperman

Mrpepperman Registered User

Apr 2, 2014
    Spuddle,I really hope the visit to the Doctors goes well.
    I think the stubbornness and frustration could be due to my Mother in law's memory issues as she is obviously aware of them, as she tries to cover up her tracks, I am going to try to steer in the way of getting bereavement counselling, my wife is starting to feel the pressure as we don't want her to think we are pushing her into anything, and we certainly don't want to offend her, I'm just worried it might have gone too far away from medication slowing things down.

3. Norfolkgirl

Norfolkgirl Account Closed

Jul 18, 2012
    #23 Norfolkgirl, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    You say your sister sorted the LPA and that you normally get on well with her, a word of warning from a cynic who has experienced fraud/theft in the family, please check, if you haven't already, the status of the LPA - are you included jointly to deal with your mum's affairs, who keeps an eye on your mum's account etc. especially as you say your sister turned up unexpectedly and is staying with your mum, messing up paperwork. In my experience thieves often deny anything is wrong or else play down the seriousness etc.

4. spuddle

spuddle Registered User

Mar 13, 2014
    norfolkgirl, thanks for the warning. thankfully I am 100% sure that it is not an issue. I think it has all been down to misunderstanding as she isn't really aware of what is going on every day and what I am doing. I have full access to mums banking and financial stuff. as for the LPA, yes we both signed it and have joint permissions/responsibility. sadly I realize how it could be a big problem for some people, the way mum is with money... carrying far too much and leaving it lying around the house could make her an easy target for theft.
    mrpepperman, I agree with you about the stubbornness. the fact that like my mum she is aware of her failing memory could be why she is covering her tracks. I certainly think its a good idea to try grief councelling, just having a place to talk about things and feelings with people who understand (im not saying that you/or me don't understand but we are limited). the fact that the decline started after husbands death is surely significant. At the moment I feel anything is worth trying.... its just getting mum to agree

5. Norfolkgirl

Norfolkgirl Account Closed

Jul 18, 2012
    OK as long as you're sure then that's fine.

6. Sbennett

Sbennett New member

Dec 9, 2019
    My mother in law lost her beloved cat over a year ago and yes I think it was the start of her memory problems, but lately she is not even remembering what she just asked me or I told her, you can apply for attendance and carers if that would help you financially! You need memory assessment as might be medication to slow the process. My mother in law is very down as realises can’t recall things but I said you are 87 and have done amazing! She still drives although I’ve said good idea to pack it in now. I do worry she isn’t eating enough as always lots of dinners in fridge. A white board is a good ideal what is what we use!!

7. Rosettastone57

Rosettastone57 Registered User

Oct 27, 2016
    You are responding to a post 5 years old so it's unlikely you will get a meaningful reply. Perhaps start your own thread ,so current members can respond

8. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Volunteer Host

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Hello @Sbennett welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

I’m glad you’ve found us as I couldn’t have managed to care for my dad without help from he lovely members here.

You can start your own thread or join in with others. If you look at the top of the posts you will see a date for when the item was posted so you know if you’re replying to a current thread.

My dad was very down in the early stages of his dementia but as he got worse he he thought there was nothing wrong with him so he was perfectly happy!..drove me a bit nuts though :rolleyes: