Mum (Alzheimer's) freaking out at carers, refusing help...not sustainable!

Blossom2021

Apr 27, 2021
Hi, just when I thought I had a fabulous care-structure in place - 16 hours of council personal assistance and 14 of private care + me!! - to cope with living alone (in loved flat) with her medium-stage Alzheimer's, my mum deteriorates dramatically: anger, aggression, full-on hallucinations, delusions, insulting nasty verbal abuse etc. Infections not an issue, but lack of water and sleep are potentially. I know many on here will be all too familiar with these behaviours - you have my empathy! Her carers are lovely and patient and she hurls abuse and won't cooperate with anything, literally kicks them out waving her stick like a weapon. So what now? I have informed GP, Memory Service and Adult Social Services of this decline (repeatedly) and nothing happens. How long can someone (she is 88 and very dependent on a walking stick) be allowed to go on being a law unto themselves. She is obsessed by 'her man' (invented) coming to take her out at night for supper, often waiting 4 hours in a hat and coat for him. She has left her flat on two occasions recently to find him and been rescued by me. Live-in care would be the best option but due to her already extremely difficult personality, total lack of insight, I cannot conceive of this working. Is this all a sign that a dementia home is now the only solution? Suffice to say I am the only family member (daughter) involved, nobody else in the family wants to know. Thanks for thoughts on possible next steps for her!

Last edited:

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Blossom2021

That does sound like residential care is needed as the wandering may be a safeguarding issue. I wonder if the Services would pay more attention if you stressed that angle.

If you talk to the experts on the support line they may be able to give you some pointers. The number is
tel:0333 150 3456

Blossom2021

Apr 27, 2021
Hello and welcome @Blossom2021

That does sound like residential care is needed as the wandering may be a safeguarding issue. I wonder if the Services would pay more attention if you stressed that angle.

If you talk to the experts on the support line they may be able to give you some pointers. The number is
tel:0333 150 3456
Thanks for that suggestion, I'll give them a call.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch