Mum’s Carer

Mark50

Aug 20, 2021
Hello, my name is Billy my 79 year old mother has been living with dementia for over 8 years. I am her main caregiver as I live locally to mum.
She recently, 4 weeks ago, had a stroke which has exacerbated her dementia and cognitive motor function. She’s now unable to walk or take care of herself independently. 🥲
My sisterand I are moving her into a care home on Monday. I feel so guilty that she’s not going back to her own home.
I just feel so lost and out of my depth dealing with the local health authorities. 🤯

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hello, my name is Billy my 79 year old mother has been living with dementia for over 8 years. I am her main caregiver as I live locally to mum.
She recently, 4 weeks ago, had a stroke which has exacerbated her dementia and cognitive motor function. She’s now unable to walk or take care of herself independently. 🥲
My sisterand I are moving her into a care home on Monday. I feel so guilty that she’s not going back to her own home.
I just feel so lost and out of my depth dealing with the local health authorities. 🤯

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I understand that it must be hard after so many years of being her care giver. Please don't feel guilty, she now needs more care than you are able to give. She will have the care she needs and you can continue to care by overseeing that her needs are met. X

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome @Mark50 to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here and members really do want to help.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. It comes as a shock when a loved one takes a sudden decline as you have indicated. Please, please, do not feel guilty about arranging Care home accommodation now. It's a horrible decision to have to make (I had to do the same for my dear Mum), but you are doing it as this 24/7 care is now what she needs to keep her safe. You are absolutely doing your best, and in doing so, have her best interests at heart.
Please do have a good look around the forums and ask any particular questions you may like to. You'll always find true understanding here.

Mark50

Aug 20, 2021
I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I understand that it must be hard after so many years of being her care giver. Please don't feel guilty, she now needs more care than you are able to give. She will have the care she needs and you can continue to care by overseeing that her needs are met. X
Thank you so much x

Mark50

Aug 20, 2021
Hello and welcome @Mark50 to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here and members really do want to help.

I am sorry to read about your Mum. It comes as a shock when a loved one takes a sudden decline as you have indicated. Please, please, do not feel guilty about arranging Care home accommodation now. It's a horrible decision to have to make (I had to do the same for my dear Mum), but you are doing it as this 24/7 care is now what she needs to keep her safe. You are absolutely doing your best, and in doing so, have her best interests at heart.
Please do have a good look around the forums and ask any particular questions you may like to. You'll always find true understanding here.
Thank you so much 🙏 I will definitely explore the forum for advice and suggestions

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinaRose