Multifactorial Dementia

tiddy

Apr 24, 2023
Mom's memory and cognitive skills and abilities are still declining...somewhat rapidly...according to her doctor's, it is a "little" worse than last year. Doctors assume it's just dementia settling in. I have been knowing this instinctively for a while now.... I was just hoping for a different outcome....Very sad..

Her basic logic and rationale are off. She threw away or misplaced a substantial amount of money two weeks ago. Since then, she is adamant about going to the bank and withdrawing the same amount. Because she feels like she needs to have it in her possession to "do" things with.

I tried to explain to her that she can use her debit card to purchase most things, and that she doesn't travel anywhere except to appointments and very rarely visiting relatives. She also feels the need to deplete her current bank accounts by trying to do away with writing checks and giving cash.

She no longer grasps the concept of writing checks or doing debit .the general concept of banking...and having an accurate electronic record of transactions and deductions. She said that she wants to give people cash because she assumes that it is a utter hassle and disaster for anyone to go to the bank...

She also wants to send cash gifts to all great-grands (she has never gifted them before, nor have any bond or relationship with them because she rarely sees any)
through postal.

She doesn't understand that perhaps a check would be best and she can keep account of.

She has often forgotten names of children, telephone numbers, recent conversations and behaviors, etc...very sad

Told her about neighbor who passed, and how some members of his family gathered some of his personal belongings, chucked some, and gave away. Somehow from this her imagination started to run with terrible accusations and assumptions about them not caring, not loving him, because they tossed some of his belongings instead of gathering them all.

Also, she believes that his death could have been prevented if his family had been with him and called or took him to a doctor. That his passing is his family's fault...very heartbreaking

I tried to explain to her that it was just his time, that no matter what ..he was going to pass when he did. She doesn't believe that. Called my beliefs and me "stupid" for thinking that. Told me the doctors could have "saved" him.
...very sad.

Doctors believe that she has multifactorial dementia, and won't have an accurate diagnosis until further testing is completed. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @tiddy

It sounds as if you are having problems managing your mum`s confusion. It`s really difficult and everyone here will understand the difficulties and sadness you feel.

There is no answer but as soon as you have a definite diagnosis you may be able to get an assessment and help

This link may help you deal with your Mom`s confusion