Mother's diagnosis and advice

devoncf

Jan 3, 2013
Hello,

My mother has recently been diagnosed with Small Vessel Disease. Having looked into the condition further I am wondering if she has vascular dementia, although her memory loss isn't significant and this is making me wonder that perhaps it isn't. I am just looking for advice from people in similar situations as there doesn't seem to be a great deal about the condition from my initial research.

A bit of background... my mother began to become unsteady on her legs a few years ago, she had an MRI scan that showed signs of small vessel disease. She saw a consultant who was quite unhelpful and simply told her there was nothing to be done and that she would eventually have a stroke and she was discharged.

Fast forward to now, and there has been a significant worsening of her symptoms. She has tremors, regular falls and is unable to walk without help, even around the house. She has started to have very regular bouts of dizziness. She does forget conversations etc, but to be honest I have put this down to her not listening - she seems to lose concentration part way though a sentence and focuses on other distractions.

She has recently had a repeat MRI and seen a different consultant, the MRI showed that there has been significant deterioration and the consultant has stated that she will only go down hill from here. We have not been given any more of a diagnosis other than Small Vessel Disease.

DOes this sound like the onset of vascular dementia to anyone that has experience? Any information would be really helpful as we have no idea what to expect, or how to talk to her consultant about this, or to her herself. She is only in her late 50's so this is very concerning.

Many thanks, and apologies for the lengthy post.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi there and welcome to TP.

I'm sorry to hear of your mums diagnosis it an awful time for all concerned.

Unfortunately my knowledge of small vessel disease is limited in so much as I know it can sometimes lead to vascular dementia but that's as far as it goes.

My mum has AD, she had a CT scan but it didnt show anything, no small vessel damage or anything so I didn't have to ask questions of the psychiatrist else I may perhaps have been able to be a little more helpful.

Anyway, I wanted to say Hi, and welcome and someone with far more knowledge and far better advise will be along to help soon I'm sure.

Take care
Sharon

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Welcome devoncf. I am sorry to hear about your mother. My husband has small vessel disease - but he is quite a lot older than your mother.

There are no rules about dementia - or about the progress of small vessel disease. She might well stabilise. Or she might not. Yes it is a cause of vascular dementia. But not everybody with small vessel disease has vascular dementia. They may have cognitive decline or cognitive impairment. The doctors are not united in their definitions - nor are countries.

My best advice is that you stay in touch with the doctors and keep them up to date. And I hope you find this website as helpful as I have done.

devoncf

Jan 3, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am in limbo awaiting contact details for her consultant in order to speak to him and ask the questions I have concerning the diagnosis. In the meantime I did think about making an appointment for myself to see her GP, but not sure they will be able to discuss her condition with me.

I am going to look into lasting power of attorney today - as I feel her deterioration has been too rapid for us to ignore the possibility of vascular dementia, or indeed a sudden stroke in the not too distant future and I am sure she would want her care to be thought about ahead of time.

I also feel I am over-reacting to the diagnosis of small vessel disease. Is this common? One part of me thinks that although her symptoms are horrid, they may stabilise and become easier to live with, and on the other hand I an reading information about the condition and nothing points to a good outcome.

She is having Occupational Health and Physiotherapy appointments currently being arranged for her, so I guess we need to wait for these and go from there.

Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
I think you are being very sensible and trying to cover as many angles as possible.

I would certainly encourage you to get an LPA sorted. In my book, it's just as important as a will.

And I'm pleased you will be hearing from an OT and physiotherapist, as, regardless of the diagnosis, Mum appears to have "needs".

Good luck
Mary
x