Dad diagnosed while an inpatient

Chadders28

Apr 21, 2024
Hi All, i’m currently feeling completely overwhelmed and confused. My Dad was diagnosed whilst an inpatient at hospital. I’m not sure if his MOCA and ACE3 tests are reliable given that he had been in hospital 3 weeks for involuntary arm movements and high blood sugar levels. His MRI did show small vessel disease. The consultant said we should be looking at discharge to a care home but he was suddenly discharged to home (without contact with next of kin) as he was considered to have mental capacity. That was the day before his ACE3 test when he scored 44/100

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Chadders28 and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to read about your dad and can understand why you feel so overwhelmed. Unfortunately if a person is believed to have the capacity to decide that they want to go home social services will accept that even if it goes against what a consultant says. However it was bad that he was discharged without contact with any next of kin and it might be an idea to complain to PALs about that.

If you have not already done so I would suggest that you contact your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your dad and a carers assessment for yourself. It might also be useful to apply for Attendance Allowance for your dad which can help to pay for extra help with caring, gardening etc.