Mother diagnosed with vascular dementia

middlesexmother

Feb 25, 2014
My sister and I have been distance carers for our mother (aged 87) for nearly a year since she broke her hip last March. We tried to do too much for her in the early days and although she reached a certain level of mobility she has never progressed to getting about without her frame. We also voiced our concerns regarding her memory. She was referred to the Memory Clinic, but it was all rather a long winded process that also included a CT scan and ECG. Last December's diagnosis was one of Mild Cognitive Impairment, but following on some worrying memory lapses I contacted the GP, who arranged for a Memory Nurse to re-assess mum at home. This happened last week, and he phoned me today with a revised diagnosis of Vacular Dementia.

As there is nothing that can be done via medication he suggested a healthier lifestyle will slow down the progress. She is barely active, because of the mobility problem; has little interest in food or a healthy diet and is now underweight and has smoked since her teens. She is also COPD.

We try to visit 3 times a week and she also has carers twice a day as she needs help with washing and dressing as well as taking her medication, which was getting in a frightful mess with blisters popped willy nilly from dossette boxes. We've tried to involve voluntary visitors so that she sees different faces and gets some kind of stimulation, but she is not interested. She doesn't respond to phone calls very often and says she is too tired to talk to people, although she keeps expressing regret that she hasn't caught up with phone calls.

I'm sure many of you have been in this, or similar positions. Can anybody offer any help or suggestions to make her life any better? She seems to have lost interest in many things and all we can do is talk about the past as she's not experiencing the present.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi :)

My Mil, when she was still living in her own home, was really hard to motivate to do anything - she would prefer to just sit in her nightclothes, all day, and we had to battle to get her washed and dressed and out the door.She stopped eating anything apart from toast, and her meds were often forgotten. Despite daily carers, and us visiting up to 5/6 times a week, some weeks, she had just lost any interest in doing anything:(

While she was still living independently, we just couldn't find a solution for this, and it was really worrying. Now she is living with us, though I have no doubt that given the choice she would revert back to those habits very quickly, we make sure she does get decent food, exercise and regular social interaction - and there is no doubt she is better for it. The only thing I can suggest is to try and find a way to see if you can get her to a day center, of some sort - Mil is never keen to go, but loves it once there and it clearly better for it.

Good luck x

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
My father had vascular dementia. I don't think the family was prepared for the amount of care he needed. It was also a time - 1992-93 - when there were few support services in place to assist. My mother was overwhelmed, in denial, and just plain exhausted from the stress, as were my sisters, as I realize, looking back.

I would go over on weekends and do the overnight (he had sundown syndrome) shift on Fri, Sat, and Sun. My family just couldn't accept his illness, and this added to the problems we faced.

He finally broke a vertebrae by falling during one of his nighttime ranting rambles.

I think with more care, and with medication, it would be possible to have someone remain in her home, but I don't know how that would be possible without some family members there, too.

Do you have access to (or ability to fund) more carers during the day? I don't think we could have left my father alone on his own . . .

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I'm sorry, but telling an 87 year old to have a healthier lifestyle? What planet is that doc living on?

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I'm sorry, but telling an 87 year old to have a healthier lifestyle? What planet is that doc living on?

I sympathise! My mum is 92 going on 93, is very restricted by arthritis, previous strokes and other medical conditions. Yes, I'm sure going for a walk etc might help 'clear her mind' a bit for example......but sadly this is simply not realistic :(